Both Sides Now

Drew has been watching reruns of "Murphy Brown". It was a show we both loved back in the 80's and 90's. What's not to love? A sitcom built around a strong, intelligent, take-charge woman, very political, and also very very funny.

So the other day he told me "There's an episode you really need to see. It's going to make you cry."

It was an episode from May 1993. The basic plot of the episode was Murphy trying to juggle motherhood and career as she planned her son's first birthday party. At the end of the episode, there is a tender moment where guest star Barry Manilow sings "I Am Your Child" while Murphy holds the baby in her lap, imagining him as a school boy, a teenager, a college student, a grown man with a child of his own.


When that show aired in 1993 Jen was 2 1/2 and Becca was 10 months old, and I was juggling career, motherhood and marriage. And yes, I would often try to imagine my children as adults.

And now, in 2014, those diaper-clad munchkins have somehow developed into grown women, both college graduates, who are involved with lives of their own. Strong, intelligent, beautiful women who do me proud.

Where did 20 years go?

Drew knows me so well. The show made me cry.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday