But I fear what's to happen all happened before.

Winds in the east, mist coming in. 
Like somethin' is brewin' and bout to begin. 
Can't put me finger on what lies in store, 
But I fear what's to happen all happened before. 


I was four years old and it was the very first time I went to a real theater, and of course it was the fabulous Mary Poppins that my father took me to see.   So of course when  heard about the movie Saving Mr. Banks it immediately went on my "must see" list.

We saw it Friday night, and it did not disappoint.

This is very much a Disney movie, but it is not a movie for children.  The focus of the movie is on P.L. Travers, her traumatic childhood in Australia, and her relationships with Walt Disney and the Sherman Brothers.  The movie explores dark themes about childhood traumas and how they make us what we are as adults.

But it's told within the framework of the two weeks Travers came to California to meet with Disney and develop  Mary Poppins as a film.  So there is Tom Hanks doing a credible portrayal of Uncle Walt, just as those of us old enough to have seen him on TV remember him.  And there are the Sherman Brothers, Richard and Robert, singing the wonderful music they wrote for the film.And there is Disneyland, circa 1961, with Sleeping Beauty's Castle and costumed cast members.  And we even get a few film clips from the project.  What a marvelous trip into our Disney past.

And if Colin Farrel doesn't make you cry by the end of this movie, you are not human.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A