songbird salutes the 70's: Carrie

They are releasing the new version of Stephen King's Carrie today.  I'm not sure I will see this film.

This is what I think of when I hear "Carrie":


I saw the film in the 76 cent theater.  (Remember those? The blockbuster movies were all being shown in the brand new multiplexes, and the single-screen neighborhood theaters were showing 3rd or 4th run movies at significantly discounted prices, and the big gimmick was to charge 76 cents in 1976, and raise the price to 77 cents the following year ... those theaters died out when everyone got cable.)

Scary film, with fine performances by Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving and John Travolta.

Spoiler alert -- if you haven't seen the 1976 movie and don't want the ending spoiled, stop reading now.















I'd read the book, so I thought I knew what to expect.  I was wrong.   That very last scene in the movie, the one where she sees Carrie's hand reaching out of the grave to grab her, isn't it the book.

And my boyfriend was pure  evil.  He had one of his friends, a guy I didn't know, sit in the row behind us...and grab me when Carrie's hand came out...

They had to peel me off the ceiling.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday