A Fiddler on the Roof...

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you know how I feel about Fiddler.  It was the very first show I ever saw on Broadway.  I saw it in 1972, at the tail end of its original run, and again when there was a revival a few years ago.  Saw a touring company at the Tilles Center two years ago.  I own the cast albums from three theatrical productions of the show, as well as a DVD of the movie.

I think one of the reasons I have such an affinity for this musical is because the music is interwoven into my life.  If you grew up Jewish in the 1960's, you heard music from Fiddler at every wedding and bar mitzvah, the major life cycle events.    It was because our grandparents and great grandparents grew up in the shtetl, we felt we had a link to the past in that show.  My grandmother's stories, many of the bubba meinsters I am repeating in this blog, took place in a village that was not so very different from the fictional Anatevka ("Tumble-down, work-a-day Anatevka. Dear little village, little town of mine.")


We've got tickets to see a community theater production of the show tomorrow night.  A friend is in the production, he plays numerous minor roles.  When Ben was at Drew's Labor Day BBQ, he and I found ourselves singing bits of the score and reciting parts of the dialogue, so it was inevitable that Drew and I purchase tickets.

Yes, I am excited.    I've seen this show many times, but I still love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday