bucket list

Do you have one?

I really haven't thought about mine.


Except....

A propos of yesterday's rant...

I have gone to many, many concerts over the years.  But I have never seen Billy Joel in concert.  The closest I ever came was when we saw Paul McCartney at Citi Field.  Billy showed up and sang a duet with Paul.  That was because when Billy did his "Last Play at Shea", Paul showed up to sing with him. 

I would have loved to have gone to one of those concerts at Shea, or to those 12 concerts he did at the Garden.  Or any one of the tours he did with Elton John.

Somehow it never happened.

Billy has always been one of my favorite performers.  I've loved him since the first time I heard "Piano Man".

Every Long Islander "of a certain age" has a Billy Joel story -- if you don't know billy, you know someone who knows him.

I have two Billy stories.  I didn't know him when he was growing up here, I'm too young.  But...

My 12th grade English teacher graduated from Hicksville High School.  She was in the same year as Billy.  She told us that no one really knew Billy well, that he was hardly ever in school because he was hanging out in Oyster Bay all the time.

In the late 60's Drew and his older sister used to hang out at a candy store in Hicksville.  Billy used to hang out in the same candy store.  They weren't friends or anything, but Drew and his sister knew who Billy was.

Here's one of my favorite Billy Joel videos.


Comments

  1. It's easier to get tickets to his shows here, but I haven't heard about them enough in advance (or was flat broke!). Still haven't seen him.


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday