A fiddler on the roof...

So we saw Fiddler the other night.  Not bad for community theater .

Ben told me "I told the cast  that one of my friends who really knows the show was coming, so they had to be good.

And I told Ben "You captured me, pulled me in, made me cry."

The story has universal themes -- the  Fiddler is a metaphor for survival, through tradition and joyfulness, in a life of uncertainty and imbalance, and that's something everyone can relate to.  But the story is told through a Jewish family, through cultural touchstones to which I can relate.

There were things some of the actors did in this production that I saw so clearly, yet probably went over the heads  of many audience members.  Kissing the mezuzah when entering a house.  Tearing one's clothes when going into mourning.

And what was truly scary?  Drew tells me that during the wedding sequence, he wasn't seeing the actors, he was seeing Becca and her boyfriend...

Scary thought, that.  She's only 21, after all, but she and David have been together since...well, they've known each other since kindergarten, but they were never friends...until they "found" each other just before high school graduation.  So it's a possibility down the road...hopefully not too soon, but...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday