Saving Mr. Banks

I am so excited for this movie.  It doesn't open until December.  But I saw a trailer for it a few weeks ago.  And this week it premiered at the Lindon Film Festival to rave reviews.


I was born at the tail end of a generation that grew up watching Uncle Walt on tv every Sunday night.  Black and white reruns of "The Mickey Mouse Club"  were also part of my tv routine. 



The strongest memory I have of the 1964-1965 World's Fair is riding "It's A Small World".


And the very first movie I every saw in a real, honest-to-goodness movie theater was "Mary Poppins".
Of course we owned the soundtrack album.  Of course I had it committed to memory.  That wonderful score by the Sherman Brothers!


But this was long before VCR's and DVD's were part of our life.  So the movie itself. . .well, you either had to see it in a theater or hope it would show up on tv.  Though I am sure we own a copy of it now.

(And I've even seen the Broadway production . . .sacrilegious though it may be. Drew loves Mary Poppins even more than I do!)


So Tom Hanks is playing Uncle Walt.  Yes, I like that casting. 


And I read that they wrote him as a real person, not as the demi-god some Disney fans think he was.
Should be interesting to see Uncle Walt in action.


And I will be reveling in the recreation of the early 1960's.


So you know where I will be in December.


 

Comments

  1. I saw an extended trailer a little while back. Mary Poppins is my favorite Disney movie, so it'll be cool to see the back story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A