so grown up, but still needs her mom

(cross posted at Midcentury Modern Moms

Since she's now gone to her college orientation, can I officially call Becca "a college student"?

I never thought to ask that question about Jen. Her orientation took place in June, before she'd even graduated from high school. We drove to her college in rural New England on a Sunday night. She checked into the student dorm and I took a room in the dorm set aside for parents. We spent two days traipsing around campus as each of us was bombarded with information. I think we saw each other for about 5 or 10 minutes. When we were done, she'd registered fro her freshman classes and was looking forward to moving into her dorm in the fall.

Becca's school is much different in its approach. Freshmen move into their dorms on August 29, and there's a program for parents at the school that day. Parents are expected to leave by 4 PM, at which time orientation will officially begin for the students. Registration for classes will take place on the 30th or the 31st, I think.

But on Monday there was a mini orientation for students who wanted to get a head start. Becca didn't have a shift at the mall on Monday, so she decided to do the mini orientation. Not a big deal, her college is in Manhattan...an easy commute.

Her original plan was to travel into the city all by herself, on the Long Island Rail Road and then by subway to the school.

But then she decided she might get lost on the subway, and asked me to drop her off on my way to work.

I told her, "this time next year you will be able to tell me which subway to take!"

At the end of the day she managed to navigate the subway back to Penn Station without me.

My baby girl is growing up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday