The new normal

So today’s post should be talking about March Madness and Spring Training, about restaurants and theater, and all the things that make up normal life.  Maybe a reference to Pi day yesterday, or a joke about a Caesar salad ...because it is the Ides of March.

Instead, my big news is that Becca arrived at Newark International Airport last night, and now she is self quarantined in her apartment on the East Side.  She plans to spend the next week working out (yoga and Pilates). And watching Frozen 2 on Disney +.

I am now working from home.  The office is officially closed for the next two weeks, and everyone has been asked to work remotely.

But my last day with this company is March 20; I start a new job March 23.

This was not the way I planned my departure, throwing all my personal things into my backpack on Friday afternoon as everyone headed for the doors.

I was already a bit uneasy because of the new job.  And now the virus is making life more complicated and stressful.  Can’t help but wonder how long it will take until we get back to a semblance of normal.

I’m remembering the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy.  We don’t live near the shore, so our damage wasn’t too severe.  Had friends staying with us because their house was on a canal (side note, the house was destroyed and was never rebuilt).  We lost electricity for several days, so it was hard to keep everyone fed.  I charged my cell phone in the car., and got on line at the service station in order to buy gas.  I worked from home for five or six weeks without setting foot in the office ... but eventually things returned to normal.  Or rather, the new normal — the storm changed us.


I’m more than a little preoccupied with the virus.  It seems like the whole world has shut down.

I have to remind myself:  this too shall pass.  Eventually life will return to normal.

Comments

  1. I am so glad to know Becca has arrived home safe and sound...my professor friend arrived home via plane as well (the cruise ship wasn't allowed to leave the Bahamas to return home). He too is self quarantined, although I think he is taking all this in stride, being the ever over optimist person he is, grin.

    I don't like this whole 'situation' one bit! And you know, I am a bit of a rebel (hey, no comment from the peanut gallery (grin and laughter)). I just don't know, friend...I just don't know...and that is the upsetting part...the not knowing...and the government control...it's just troublesome on so many levels...it is what it is.

    We will prevail though, right? (at least I hope so)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that Becca is home and has a Plan. Yep, this situation is unsettling, to say the least. The wheels seem to be falling off everything, don't they? But at least Becca is home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was concerned that she’d be stranded...but home in her apartment is a good thing, even if she’s in self quarantine

      Delete
  3. Becca is home, and that is what is important. I wish her well in her self quarantine; a little planning goes a long way and sounds like she has it under control. A co worker's nephew (who was studying abroad; he goes to one of the SUNY's) should be arriving any time from London, if not already. Scary times to start a new job in but I hope it's all for the best. Had my son over today for an early birthday lunch; was supposed to be a birthday party with several other family members but now that is postponed until this is over. My brother in law's wife had to delay her hip surgery since it is considered elective. And so it goes.....Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear Becca made it home. I was seeing pictures of bedlam in airports. Crazy times.

    Take care. Hopefully this will eventually all feel like an overreaction and the virus won't hit us all too bad. That's the best case scenario (as of this moment), right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She came through Newark, no craziness. Cleared customs and went straight home

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday