Music Monday -- St. Patrick's Day

Music Monday, and we've been asked to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, the day when everyone is Irish.

Here in NYC  we have lots of ways to toast the day.

When I turn on my radio tomorrow morning, I will be listening to my favorite DJ, Scott Shannon. He's been a mainstay of NYC radio since the 1980's.  Some time during the morning drive, Scott will play a song called...."The Scotsman"?

Yes, "The Scotsman".  Slightly risque but radio clean, here's a version by the Irish Rovers:





The Irish Rovers also recorded one of my favorite songs.





But I digress.

Broadway is a NYC tradition.  And when you combine Broadway with Irish heritage...well, Finian's Rainbow is a musical about an Irishman and his daughter, come to America to find their fortune.





Yes, that's Fred Astaire, by the way.  (I used a movie clip because ... well, no Broadway until mid April...)


March 17, 2010.  Riverdance -- the famed Irish step dancing troupe -- performed at Radio City Music Hall.  Drew and I were there that night, having won a pair of tickets from our local newspaper. the troupe is a frequent visitor to NYC.

Here's a performance by Riverdance.







Since everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day, every restaurant in NYC offers corned beef and cabbage, or green bagels, or green beer, or ...well, you get the idea.

Though this year it may be best to cook your own feast....

While you're enjoying your feast, you can listen to Celtic Woman:





And what is St. Patrick's Day without a parade?  The biggest one is here in NYC, it goes right down 5th Avenue, past St. Patrick's Cathedral.  Well, normally it does...this year's parade is cancelled.  First time in 258 years.







And then there’s the “new normal” for NYC.




(Bald Piano Guy is really a teacher from Long Island.)

And because I have a wicked sense of humor (and we all need that right now),  I've decided to close this out with a song I posted a few weeks ago....






But wait ....

Not exactly a St. Pat’s hit, but ....

This song just seems so appropriate right now.  Here is today’s bonus hit.




Y





Comments

  1. Robin,

    I can see why a city as large as yours needing to scale back. Hopefully in two weeks things will begin to feel more normal again. It certainly is a stressful time for many and folks are bent out of sorts but to survive we must stat calm...be prepared but calm. The school teacher (bald guy) Covid-19 song parody is not only cleverly written but funny. Nice job! Tom Lehrer always makes me smile. His dead-pan dry humor cracks me up. I don't know how comedians pull that off so well but he's purrfect at it. This isn't the end of the world yet, I plan to be back here on the dance floor next week and hopefully you'll be boogieing right along beside me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is what saves me, Cathy. I will definitely be on the dance floor next week.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome playlist. Riverdance is just stunning. I love this type of performance. There is a drum corps from Sweeden called the Top Secret Drum Corps and I could watch them for hours. The clip from the NYC parade is one of the things that makes New York City great. I wouldn't want to live there (too many people) but it is a great city none the less. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you’ll post a piece by the drum Corp, I’d love to hear it

      Delete
  3. Super cool playlist. Enjoyed them all, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I forgot all about the Unicorn song & it's my favorite. My kids use to love that song too. Thank you for posting it. Fred Astare's tune is too cute. All of them are superb. Great job & thanks for playing along. Have a great day & Happy St. Patrick's day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Riverdance and Celtic Woman are just so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Sláinte" Songbird. Hope you had a wonderful day😸Pawkisses🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised I didn't know about the Unicorn song but I sure knew The Drunk Scotsman. And Tom Lehrer, as sick as can get (in a good way). And REM. And bagpipes and Irish dancing. Had a good time today! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A