Coronavirus craziness

I am a New Yorker.  I am resilient.

How quickly everything has changed.

Yesterday at 11:30 there was an email sent to everyone in my office: go home, the office is closed.

Another tenant in the building has an employee who may have been exposed to the virus, so out of an abundance of caution, our office was closed.  We reopen today, but I’m sure some of my coworkers will choose to stay home.

My sister was nervous about my tenuous exposure and the potential risk to our 87 year old mother, and suggested I go to Drew’s house.  So that’s where I went.

I stopped at the supermarket for a few items...insanity.  Like locusts had descended on the store.

Schools are closing, my synagogue has changed how things are done during services, I’ve gotten dozens of emails  from businesses about how they are addressing this crisis.

All the professional sports teams have suspended play.  March Madness is cancelled.  Governor Cuomo closed the Broadway theaters until April 13 — we are getting a refund on our tickets for West Side Story.

This is like something out of a movie.

I posted my usual frivolous Friday blog post, because I crave normalcy.  

I survived 9/11, I survived Superstorm Sandy, I will survive this.

Comments

  1. I am so sorry you can't go home...and he has limited restaurants, canceled anything over 500 people venues (no St. Patrick's Day parades, not even here in little ole Hornell, no bar hopping etc. for St. Patrick's Day), hospitals, nursing homes...I never thought, Robin, I would see the day that folks would give into fear and folks purposely wrecking the economy.

    On the bright side, I have survived an EF 5 tornado, Hurricane Katrina, cancer twice, and many more things. I /we will survive this.

    Has your daughter made it home yet? I was wondering...p.s. I have a former professor who is returning from a cruise from the Bahamas and he IM'ed me stating he will be quarantined once they dock today. He was actually laughing, mad (cuckoo), I tell you, mad. ((grin))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many states have now banned large gatherings -- NY, California, Washington, Oregon, Ohio, Maryland. (Not political, Ohio and Maryland have Republican governors.) Look how easily Italy's health care system became overwhelmed and you understand why social distancing is necessary. The economy is taking a bug hit, but it will recover. When all of this is over, you'll see huge discounts in travel and entertainment s the industry woos customers.

      Becca will be home tomorrow and will likely face some sort of quarantine.

      Delete
    2. You know what's kind of cool...This is making everyone remember all the things they have survived. In a strange way it is encouraging.

      Delete
  2. Right! And you've survived SARS, the bird flu, the swine flu (H1N1), ebola, Y2K, etc. etc. We're going to survive this. Look at the CDC website for cases in the US (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html): there aren't that many....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there. It won't last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly.the worst that has happened to me and my family has been inconvenience. Other families aren't so lucky. this will all be over in a few weeks, and a semblance of normal will return.

      Delete
  4. We as a people will survive this, as we have survived other pandemics. Fear is our enemy, as is finding the right level of reaction. It can be tough to find the required level. The important thing will be for the world to remember the lessons from COVID-19 and use them to prepare for the next time. There will be a next time. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came back from the store, and the place was empty. Shelves are bare. I've never seen that. Wow.

    What we're worrying about is a sudden lockdown and having the food at home to weather it. I don't. If the stores stay open, I'll be fine.

    Just got notification after school today that we're closed for the next two weeks. Unprecedented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The school where my kids were students just cancelled Easter break and decided to close for the next two weeks instead, but the school where Drew subs is staying open for now — no kids Monday and Tuesday as they develop a plan for in line instruction.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A