Hope



See that?  It's forsythia.  It's starting to bloom.

Forsythia is very popular here on Long Island.  You see it in lots of yards.  You see it all along the parkways.

It blooms in March, reminding us that spring is coming, the pretty yellow blossoms giving us hope.

On April 8, some three weeks from now, Jews around the world will celebrate Passover.  We will read the ancient story of Israel's redemption from bondage in Egypt.  It is a story of hope that better days are coming.

A few days later, on April 12, Christians will celebrate Easter, the story of the Crucifixion and the Resurrection.. Again, there are themes of hope and redemption.

Our Hindu neighbors just celebrated Holi, a spring festival, a triumph of good over evil.

Spring is a season or rebirth and renewal, of hope and joy.

Yesterday I went to BJ's.  I got there about half an hour before the store opened, got a shopping cart and got on line.  When the store opened....I saw empty shelves where the paper towels, toilet paper and cleaning supplies should have been.  The store had not restocked overnight.    I felt joy when I scored two bottles of Clorox bleach at Home Depot. And I got back into my car and cried.

My family is lucky.  None of us are ill, none of us are in danger of losing our jobs.  We are majorly inconvenienced, as  is everyone else, but we are OK.

This crisis is like nothing I've seen before.  After 9/11 we tried to return to normal as quickly as possible; remember how wonderful it was when Mike Piazza hit that home run in the first game  at Shea?  After Superstorm Sandy, we tried to get back to business as usual.  but for this crisis we need to stay as far away from normal as possible....this crisis affects the whole world, not just one corner of it.

I need spring.   i need hope.  I need a feeling that this will all be over eventually and things will go back to normal.





Comments

  1. Amen. Absolutely. Beautifully stated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had that Forsythia here in Hornell...it is raining here today, smiles. No place to go, everything is shut down etc. Have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. That feeling of being isolated is the worst, we always rely on our social bonds to endure a crisis.

      Delete
  3. It's a strange time. But we'll get through it. Now's a good time to work on projects that we've been putting off for a while. Or to combine three cereals to make a new one. (Saw that on Twitter.) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it’s definitely an interesting time ... and I’ve got lots to keep me busy

      Delete
  4. It grows here too, the Forsythia and Hope🙏😸Pawkisses for a Happy Wednesday🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our area forsythia is getting ready to bloom. Can you imagine if this had hit in January, like it did in China, when days were short and there was nothing to stare at but snow? Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A