Saturday 9

 

Why Did I Choose You?

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9: Why Did I Choose You? (1965)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Barbra Streisand reassures her lover that, if she had it all to do again, she would still choose him. Tell us about a decision you've made that you never, ever regretted.

I made the decision to alter my career path, to take a job that was less exciting but also less stressful than the path I originally laid out for myself. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

2) The music was composed by Michael Leonard, who studied classical music at Julliard and the Handel Conservatory of Music in Munich. Do you often listen to classical music?

My knowledge of classical music is somewhat limited.  I like it, but there are other genres that I prefer.

3) The lyrics were written by Herbert Martin. He taught music in the NYC public school system and during the summer worked in summer stock. That's how he met and began collaborating with Michael Leonard. Tell us how you met someone important in your life.

In the late 1990's, when the internet was still new, I discovered a message board devoted to trip planning, specifically to planning trips to Walt Disney World in Florida.  A group of us decided to meet in person.  One of the members of that group is now one of my best friends.  
 
4) Ms. Streisand was a very good student, graduating fourth in her class at Erasmus Hall High School when she was only 16. One of Barbra's classmates was Neil Diamond. Do you have a favorite Neil Diamond song?

I did an entire blog post about Neil Diamond back in June.  

I got to see him in concert in June 2012 at Jones Beach.  I love this version of the song, it's the way he sang it at Jones Beach:




5) While she didn't go on to college, she continued her education by attending two different acting schools simultaneously. Did you enjoy being a student?

Yes, of course.  I still enjoy learning, even in an informal atmosphere.
 
6) Barbra and her first husband, Elliott Gould, shared a New York apartment over a 5th Avenue restaurant called Oscar's Salt of the Sea. Elliott originated the role of Trapper John in the movie M*A*S*H. On TV, the role of Trapper was played by Wayne Rogers. Can you think of another role that's been played by more than one actor?




I love how the video includes parodies...

7) Oscar's Salt of the Sea has ties to Sesame Street. Jim Henson loved their food and was amused by how inhospitable the owner, Oscar, could be. That's how Oscar the Grouch got his name. Which is your favorite Muppet?





8) Back to Barbra ... She is a successful recording artist (nominated for 45 Grammy awards, winning 8) and an Oscar-winning actress, but she's suffered career disappointments, too. In 2010, she read the book Hidden Figures and tried to buy the rights so she could direct the film version. She lost out to fellow Brooklynite, director Theodore Melfi. In 2016, his movie of Hidden Figures was released. Did you see the movie or read the book?

I loved the movie.  I know they took artistic license with some of the details, but the story was so compelling.  When I was a child watching the space missions I had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.


9) Random question: Your best friend takes up painting and proudly presents her first framed work to you. You think it's atrocious. Would you hang it in your home anyway?

Hard question.  I really don't know.  How is she going to react if I say no?




Comments

  1. Hidden Figures is on my "to Watch" list. There was a show on PBS on space and one of the episodes was about the women who did all the calculations and it was an all white male launch crew, now it is diverse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your online friend became your real-life friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kermit and Rainbow Connection. So cool you met such a great friend online! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun how one celebrity can touch so many others and generate so many interesting questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I bet Neil was amazing in concert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't amazing what things we can learn off net.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that Neil Diamond song, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We saw Neil Diamond in concert in the 1980's when his voice was still powerful enough to rock the place! Love that guy.

    Kermit is such a cutie. All the various YouTubes of a muppet singing have been a gas. I chose Animal because he is a drummer.
    Since I'm officially older than dirt, I can remember a lot about the civil rights movement. That book was an exposé...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday