Saturday 9

 

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every
Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (1973)

Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) Bette Midler sings that the bugle boy wakes up Company B every morning by playing reveille. What awakened you this morning (phone, alarm clock, sunrise, etc.)? Or did you wake up on your own?

Alexa, set alarm for 7:30 AM...

2) This single was produced by Bette's arranger/piano player, who went on to have a successful singing career of his own. Do you have a favorite Barry Manilow song?


Oy, the crazy fashions from the 1970's... and look how he's sitting on that piano stool, no wonder he has hip problems now (Our February 2012 tickets to see him at Radio City  were moved to May 2012 because he had to have hip surgery...) But the music endures.

You can't limit me to just one Barry song...



We saw Barry's one-man Broadway show in 2013.  We sat in the third row!  

Here are photos I took that night.




And since we are on the subject...yes, I have seen the Divine Miss M live, too...during her run in Hello, Dolly!



Sigh...I miss live theater...

3) Bette was named after Bette Davis. Her sisters, Susan and Judy, were named for Susan Hayward and Judy Garland. So now we know who Mother Midler's favorite actresses were. Who are yours?

Hmm, past or present?  I'll mention Ingrid Bergman, Casablanca was always one of my favorite movies. 

Currently? Gal Gadot.  I loved her in the Wonder Woman movies' and can't wait to see her in other films.

4) Bette has been married since 1984 to artist Martin von Haselberg. She was 39 years old, already a star, and had never married before. Yet within six weeks of meeting him, she was so sure Martin was "the one" that they tied the knot. Have you found that love takes time, or, like Bette, have you fallen in love quickly?

Let's just say the road to true love had lots of twists and turns along the way...

5) When their daughter Sophie was growing up, it was Martin who taught her to cook. What was the last thing you prepared in your kitchen? Did you use the microwave, stovetop, convection oven, blender, coffee maker ...?

Dinner last night.  I used the microwave  to reheat some chicken and I used the conventional oven to bake a sweet potato, which I topped with cinnamon sugar butter.
 
6) Bette says that listening and compromise have been the key to their happy marriage but adds, "Compromise is hardest of all." On what have you compromised recently?

I think I am just going to skip over this one...

7) Bette and Martin have a farmhouse in upstate New York. She enjoys feeding the chickens (whom she has jokingly named The Kardashians) and puttering in her garden. Do you have a green thumb?

My last three attempts to growl flowers in the yard ended in failure.  But I do OK with house plants.

8) In 1973, the year this song was popular, actor Neil Patrick-Harris was born. He's best known as Barney on How I Met Your Mother, which ran from 2005-2014. Were you a fan?

I liked him in Doogie Howser, M.D.  

9) Random question -- How often do you put crackers in your soup: Always, often, seldom or never?

Depends on the type of soup.  Tomato soup and clam chowder require oyster crackers.  I never put crackers in chicken soup.


Comments

  1. It looks like you're our Saturday 9 Fanilow. I have a friend who *adores* him. She paid literally $2000 for "a platinum," which gave her a pre-show one-on-one with him (10 minutes, I think) and then a front row seat. She reports he smells very good.

    I wish I could have seen Bette in Hello, Dolly. I hear she was legendary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am a fanilow. And yes, Bette was magnificent in Dolly.

      Delete
  2. I saw Carol Channing in Hello Dolly. I enjoyed it.
    I am just the opposite with flowers and house plants. My outdoor ones do well, but my house plants die. Maybe they need more sun. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Wonder Woman fan! Yay. I like Barry Manilow, too. Some of the first songs I learned on the guitar were Manilow songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really liked the Wonder Woman movies.

      I wish I could play guitar

      Delete
  4. Loved the videos! I didn't know Bette had done Hello Dolly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She won the Tony in 2017 for Dolly. Interestingly, she did not sing on the Tiny Awards show that year. Instead, David Hyde Pierce (her co star) sang one of his songs from the show.

      Delete
  5. I too have the reverse situation with plants. I'd like to blame the window locations in my house (too shady) but it's me. I know it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last thing I cooked was breakfast, which needed both the microwave and the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had 45 of boogie woogie bugle boy. I usual get up around 7 or so.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also miss the theater, I was going to go and see South Pacific last January but it got rescheduled for this January and now it has been once again rescheduled for this spring. They say that the third time is the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m old enough to remember listening to my mothers 78’s one of which was of Bugle Boy. She had a ton of old 78’s and played them when I was tiny. We sang along.

    I love live theater, too. We had season’s tickets to a local theater group back in the day. It’s one of the most enjoyable things we ever had season’s tickets, too.
    Doggie Hawser is it? Many people say I need to catch up on him... so I’ll try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday