Another this and that

So yesterday I posted a photo of the Empire State Building.  The lights used to be white every night.  Then,  in 1976, the Helmsleys (then-owners of the building) installed red, white and blue halide lights.  After that, colored lights replaced the white for special occasions.  The current LED lights were installed in 2012, so we can see different colors every night of the week ...

It’s such an iconic building, beautiful Art Deco at its finest.  I’ve been there, of course.  I took the elevator up to the 102nd floor more than once.  I always liked the view here more than the view from the old World Trade Center towers.  I haven’t been to the observation deck of the new One World Trade Center yet. 

I’ll be working in lower Manhattan again, so maybe I’ll find my way over to the Trade Center one day and take the ride up ... I hear it’s incredible.

Yes, I do love working in the city.  It’s the commute I can do without.  The Long Island Railroad made the news several times last week because of train delays and cancellations.  Oh the “fun” I’m going to have ...

And thinking about how I have to rearrange my schedule ...

Sigh.  


Comments

  1. I was to the Empire State Building a couple of times and loved the view (so, those lights started in 1976, two years after I left the City). I don't envy you your commute, but I worked one summer in lower Manhattan, near City Hall, and the then-World Trade Center (it wasn't yet completed)it was an interesting experience. I was sorry to find out that J&R Music World (which had opened not long before) closed in 2014. I spent some wonderful lunchtimes in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved J & R. Killed by digital music. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for answering the lights question. Is there anyone in the city you could ask to stay with occasionally? You wouldn't want to stay there all the time, but maybe once or twice a week might help with the commute. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A