And then it became real

The tears started to flow when I saw the mother on CNN.  She had just spent two hours planning her 14 year old daughter’s funeral.  She aimed her comments at the Oval
 Office, unleashing her anguish and her anger in a statement so powerful it left the news anchor speechless and overcome with emotion.

And then I learned that one of the hero teachers (there were three brave men who gave their lives protecting students) grew up in my home town.  The article in the newspaper mentioned the high school he attended — the same school I went to, the same school my sisters and my daughters attended. His family belonged to the Reform synagogue.   I didn’t know him, I don’t know his family ... but suddenly it felt real.  If it could happen to him, it could happen to any of us.


Dear G-d, I am so tired of crying.

Comments

  1. I could'nt image buring a child. I have friends and other family members who have and they say it one of the most diffucult thing. This violent needs to end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my tears started to flow a long time ago - after the shooting a half mile from where I work, during my work day (April 3, 2009), which killed 14 - and a co worker's mother in law was in the building (she was physically unharmed). And then finding the shooter (who turned the gun on himself) had visited our parking lot on various occasions, hung out in the public library I spent my lunch hours reading in, and bought his gun a mile and a half from where I live. How many times had our paths crossed? The school psychologist who died at Sandy Hook was a native of this area. My husband's cousin teaches high school a half hour from Parkland. She's expressed on Facebook how she feels - when is the tipping point? When? When? When? Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't be angry any longer. It's exhausting. And the politicians continue to offer "hopes and prayers". And do nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday