Memory

So it snowed yesterday.  Just a few inches, not even enough to warrant using that brand new snow blower Drew bought, but enough of the white stuff to make us decide it was a good day to stay inside and watch DVD’s.  Drew has an extensive collection, including many movies I have never seen.

And late in the evening, Drew told me he had something special to show me.

It was the video of our wedding.  He had it transferred from videotape to a DVD.

Drew and I have a weird history. We dated in college, broke up.  Dated again when I was in law school, broke up. The third time around, we got engaged, got married, had two children, and got a divorce.   And then, about eight years ago, we reconciled.

I guess Drew was feeling nostalgic last summer.  During one of the barbecues in his back yard, he showed everyone our wedding album from 1987.  

And I had to wonder who these two young, hopeful people were.




But the emotional impact of the photos pales in comparison to the impact of that video.  I hadn’t seen the video in decades.

Remember that back in the 80’s, Home video was new, cutting edge technology, and not every bride and groom chose to hire a videographer in addition to a photographer.  But I am so glad we did.

What you see at 27 is so different from what you see at 57.  We we all so much younger then.  

And so many people in that video ...I miss them so much.  There was my father on the dance floor.  Oh how he loved to dance. Drew’s parents.  My grandmother, my aunts.  His aunts and uncles.  Cousins.   Friends who died too soon.  Seeing them laughing, dancing.  Hearing voices I haven’t heard in decades.

I’m a weepy mess today.


Comments

  1. Last year, my husband and I viewed a home movie taken in my husband's back yard when he was a teenager, which a cousin of his had had digitalized. It was a family BBQ and almost every person in it (except for his mother, and his brothers/sister) was dead. It was sobering, sad, but yes, I'm glad that both of us had the chance to view it. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What great memories. I remember when my grandfather got a video camera in 1984. It wasn't common. Stuff to look back on, for sure.

    Funny how you and Drew have been on-again/off-again so many times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A