heartbreaking

This morning, as I was reading my email, Facebook, etc., I found a story on the local "Patch" that made me cry.

A young man from my community had died.  I didn't know him, I don't know his family, but I am devastated nevertheless.

His name was Daniel, he was 18 years old, had graduated from high school in June, and was attending a SUNY college upstate. 

He apparently went to some sort of frat party Friday.  Early Saturday morning he was found unresponsive on the couch in an off-campus apartment, and it was later determined that he had alcohol and anti-anxiety medication in his system.

They're holding the wake today.

Heartbreaking.  Tragic. Devastating.

No parent should have to bury a child. 

But that's not the worst of it.

This is the second time those poor parents have had to bury a son. 

The young man who died on Saturday had a twin brother, Justin, who died when the boys were four years old.    It was a freak accident, one that was  actually written up in the New York Times.  The boys, and their older sister, were enrolled at a local day camp -- the same camp where Jen and Becca went to preschool.   One day, a group of kids, including Justin and his older sister, were sitting under a tree, waiting to board the bus that would take them home.    No one knew tha tthe tree was rotted, that insects had been feasting on it.  The tree collapsed unexpectedly, killing Justin and injuring his sister.  

The newspapers never mentioned where Daniel was when the tree collapsed.  Apperntly he was at the scene, also waiting for the bus, but was not physically injured.  I cannot imagine how losing his twin brother must have affected him.

Or how losing both of her brothers will affect their sister's life.

heartbreaking.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday