Another this and that

So...the suicide bombing that  wasn't...Idiot set off a pipe bomb in the subway yesterday, at the station below 8th Avenue and 42nd Street, near Port Authority.  Hurt himself and three other people, but everyone survived, thank G-d.

But with subways bypassing Times Square and street closures....well, poor Becca had a difficult time getting to work that morning.   She lives on West 43rd and she works near Grand Central Station. I can sympathize, I commuted into NYC for many years.  I can remember the first World Trade Center bombing in February 1993.  I was working in Jersey city at the time, across the river from the Twin toers, and when the PATH trains stopped running ...I had to find a bus to Port Authority so I could get home to Drew and the girls. 

It's a scary world, all right.  But I have to get myself out of my funk.

Drew called this afternoon, and confirmed that we have tickets for two movie events next week. 

The first is The MeshugaNutcracker,   To quote the website:

“The MeshugaNutcracker!” is a full-length musical comedy that features the wonderfully silly sensibilities of the folklore of Chelm (a fictional town of fools) underscored by an invigorating Klezmer-ized orchestration of Tchaikovsky’s “Nutcracker Suite,” including original lyrics that celebrate Chanukah.

And, of course, we will be seeing the new Star Wars movie.  Star Wars: The Last Jedi sounds like a great movie.  But it's a bit sad, too -- it's Carrie Fisher's last performance.

We're going into Manhattan on Saturday to see the Christmas decorations.  We go every year to see the windows at Macy's and Lord & Taylor and Saks Fifth Avenue, and we love to see the trees at Bryant Park and Rockefeller Center. I'll be sure to take some good photos this year. 

We're still figuring out where to go for dinner Christmas Eve, what movie to see Christmas Day, and how we are going to ring in the new year.  I am enjoying the planning, though.

And if we wind up at Drew's house for New Year's, I think we will have some really great appetizers to munch on.  There's a supermakret here on Long Island called Uncle Giuseppe's. They feature Italian specialties (well, duh), a lot of really interesting prepared foods.  And  they just opened a new store near my office.  Last Friday Drew and I had a feast from their seafood department.

So much to look forward to...

Comments

  1. All sorts of fun things to do. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the decorations in Midtown since the early 1970s. It does bring back some memories of childhood and teenagehood "in the city". But we came so close to the tragedy many New Yorkers have been expecting for years. We were lucky - this time. The last time I was in Grand Central Station I thought to myself, how can anyone prevent this? Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Klezmer-ized Nutcracker? That sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday