Daydream Believer

It was a big deal, in 1966, to actually have a color TV.  But we did.  A huge TV, in its own cabinet, sitting in the den.

It was such a big deal, with all the network shows starting to switch over to color.  The NBC peacock was new and novel.

It was such a big deal that my best friend and her brother would come to my house to watch Adam West as Batman.

It was the year The Monkees premiered on TV.

And it was the year I fell in love with Davy Jones.

I liked all of them - Mike Nesmith, Peter Tork, Mickey Dolenz.  But my heart belonged to the cute guy with the incredible British accent.

I watched the show, I played the albums on my portable phonograph. I memorized lyrics that I didn't really understand.

Later, when Davy did a guest spot on The Brady Bunch, I was so jealous of Marcia.

As an adult I got to fulfill a childhood fantasy and attend a Monkees concert. Several, actually.  The most recent was last June.

What an entertainer Davy was!  You could see how he thrived on the audience reaction to his music.

A part of me died today.

Rest in peace, Davy.  And thank you for all the joy your music gave me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday