Music Monday

It was the summer of 1978. I had just graduated from high school and was working at the beach while preparing to start college in the fall.  And this album, released the previous year,  was everywhere:




We all know Meat Loaf sang the songs...but notice who wrote them.

"Songs by Jim Steinman"

 He' was responsible for so much of the music that colored my life in the 70's and 80's. He had such a distinctive style...so darkly romantic, so sensual, so dramatic...

Jim Steinman passed away on April 19.  

Here's my tribute to Steinman.

We start with the title cut from Bat Out of Hell.




And then there was Bonnie Tyler...




Air Supply had a big hit with a Steinman song



Even Barbra recorded his material




This next song was written for Meat Loaf, but ultimately was a hit for Barry Manilow



Celine Dion's big Steinman hit  -- and I love the beginning of the video...why does that motorcycle seem so familiar?




A demo recorded by Bette Midler, this was later on the Bat Out of Hell album




Now let's hear from the man himself.  This was on his solo album, later recorded by Meat Loaf on Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell



And this demo, the song was yet another Bat success...




And we close it out with yet another cut from Bat Out of Hell, possibly the best teenage angst song ever written.









Comments

  1. I recall having some meatloaf cassette. Sad he became a Trumpester.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,

    Lovely tribute to Steinman. I didn't know who wrote these popular songs from the 70s & 80s. "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - great song! You know, I don't even remember Bette Milder from the early 70s so "Heaven Can Wait" is new-to-my ears.

    Great songs to spin on the turntable for the 4M dance party, my friend. Thanks for boogieing with us this week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love EVERYTHING! From your tunes on Monday to your WAAAAAAAITTTT HOW DID THAT HAPPEN... I WAS READING STUFF ABOUT MOTHER'S & PICS OF YOUR GIRLS & POOF i'M HERE. OKAY I'M ON A HUNT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was a great songwriter and composer. We truly liked all his songs. Pawkisses for a wonderful week ahead🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday