Saturday 9

 

Mom

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Mom (2016)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Meghan Trainor's mom gets a vocal credit on this song ("featuring Kelli Trainor") because the audio of a mother/daughter phone call is included on the recording. Who is the last person you spoke to (not texted!) on the phone?

A business call, nothing terribly exciting.


But since Drew and I don't live together, we make it a point speak on the phone every night when we aren't together.
  
2) The earliest version of this song was a poem co-written by Meghan and her brother as a gift to their mom. Do you enjoy writing/crafting/baking or [insert your skill here] gifts for people?

No.

3) Meghan's mom ran Jewel of the Isle, a jewelry store in Nantucket, MA. Have you ever visited Massachusetts? If so, where have you gone?

I've been to Boston  many times.  Great city.  Lexington.  Concord. Salem, Plymouth, Sturbridge.  (Yeah, I like history.)

4) Mother's Day is a big holiday for card shops. So are birthdays, weddings, and dozens of other special occasions. Hallmark sells greetings for everything from "Congratulations on Your New Job" to "Happy Retirement." Who received the most recent card you bought?

I don't buy a lot of cards anymore. I think the  last one was for Valentine's Day.

5) While Crazy Sam was growing up, her mother used to scold her for leaving dirty dishes in the sink. Sam admits it: as an adult she still puts off washing her dishes. Are you more like mother or daughter? Do you clean up after every meal, or do you let the dishes stack up?


Have to admit it, I sometimes let them pile up ...

6) Mother's Day is for grandmothers, too. Sam grew up calling her grandmother "Grandgran." What did you call your grandmother?

Grandma. 

My paternal grandmother died before I was born, but my older cousins tell me she was called "bubbe" (Yiddish for "grandma"), and my grandfather (who also died before I was born) was called "zaide".

My maternal grandmother was an immigrant, came here from Poland right after WW I and became immediately Americanized.  She wanted to be called Grandma, not "bubbe"

My maternal grandfather died when my mother was a little girl.


7) The German word for "mother" is "mutter." What other German words do you know?

Nein, I do not speak German, but ja, I am sure I know at least a handful of words. Katze, hund, danke...


8) In the United Kingdom, Mothering Sunday is celebrated. It's on the fourth Sunday in Lent (March 14 this year) and in addition to flowers and cards, mothers are treated to Simnel cake. Are you going to indulge in any sweets this weekend?

We will have a cake at my mother's house on Sunday. Probably something with chocolate.

9) To celebrate Mother's Day, Sam is giving away her mother's favorite: Hershey Bars! Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or milk chocolate with almonds?

If I have to choose, I will take classic milk chocolate, please.



Comments

  1. #3 -- I love history, too! The thing that's so cool about Boston is how many old sites are still vital and in use. Here in Chicago, almost nothing predates The Fire (1871). First Church in Boston is from the 17th century!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother used to live in Sturbridge and is about an hour from my house in Connecticut

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and so love history and I have learned a lot through them.
    I do not buy many cards anymore either. They are so expensive for what they are. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my first cats my Mom named Katze, lol. She found it hilarious, and I did too once I learned that her name was ..... "cat".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a white cake for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day. We're having her up for dinner. Our first guest in over a year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I didn't get the "last card you sent" question. Because I don't know the answer. I have a couple cars in the mail at present, and I'm not sure if they've arrived or not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday