Saturday 9

 

Last Train to Clarksville

Welcome to Saturday: 9What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Saturday 9: Last Train to Clarksville (1966)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) When did you most recently take a train?

I commuted from Long Island to Manhattan for work until March 2020, so I rode the Long Island Railroad almost every day.  I don’t work in the city anymore, but I still ride the LIRR occasionally, like when we go to a Broadway show.  We saw Camelot in April, and took the train.

2) The lyrics promise "coffee-flavored kisses and a bit of conversation." Have you more recently had coffee, a kiss, or a chat?

Coffee.

3) The record opens with a guitar riff inspired by The Beatles' "Day Tripper." Can you play guitar?

I took lessons in high school but never mastered the technique

4) The lead vocals are performed by Micky Dolenz. He is the only surviving member of the Monkees. Without looking it up, can you name his bandmates?

Well, considering how many times I saw The Monkees in concert, I hope I can remember their names.  

I cried when Davy Jones died. Ditto when Peter Tork died.and then again when Mike Nesmith died.  

Here’s a photo I took of Micky when we saw him in June 2022.


And yes, he can still sing.

Here’s Micky and Mike in October 2021, when we saw them at the farewell tour.


Yes, it was bittersweet. I knew then that it was the last time we’d see The Monkees. I knew then that Mike was not well. When he died a few months later I was sad, but not surprised.

One more Monkees memory.  Micky and Peter toured in 2015.  And Mike literally phoned it in:





5) The Monkees starred in an award-winning sitcom for two seasons. In Season 2, Micky surprised fans by appearing with a curly perm. Do you curl, straighten or color your hair?

I color it …I’m not ready to go gray.  

6) Micky also did a stint at WCBS radio in New York. He spun the oldies every morning and helped his listeners get ready for work. Do you turn on the radio or TV when you first wake up?

Yes, I actually listen to WCBS in New York.  These days the morning drive time is done by Foxx and Annie, but I used to wake up with Micky.  That was back in 2005…

On January 10, 2005, Dolenz replaced Dan Taylor as the morning disc jockey at oldies radio station WCBS-FM in New York. On June 3, 2005, Dolenz celebrated his 100th show with a special morning show at B.B. King's. In an ironic and controversial twist, that was also his last regular show at the station; at 5:00 pm, WCBS-FM announced that the station would replace its oldies format with a "Jack" format, eliminating the need for on-air disc jockeys.

However, WCBS-FM eventually returned to its oldies format on July 12, 2007, with Taylor re-assuming his role as the morning disc jockey the following day. Several months later, on February 3, 2008, Dolenz was invited back to the station to present his long-postponed 101st show and final in-studio appearance there by guest-hosting a three-hour broadcast during WCBS' Sunday evening "New York Radio Greats" program.

(From Wikepedia)

Some mornings I listened to Micky, other mornings I listened to Scott Shannon and Todd Pettengill on WPLJ.  I was sad to see Micky leave WCBS.  But when WPLJ didn’t do right by Scott Shannon in 2014, Shannon was able to take over the morning drive time at WCBS, and I was very happy about that!

7) Micky's daughter, Ami, followed her father into show business, appearing in several movies and a recurring role in General Hospital. If you followed your father into his profession, what would you have done for a living? 

I’d be a teacher/assistant principal.

8) In 1966, when this song topped the charts, miniskirts took the fashion world by storm. What have you recently added to your wardrobe?

A lot, actually.  I’ve lost 90 pounds (thank you, Wegovy!) so none of my old clothes fit.  I just bought a couple of pair of jeans.

9) Random question -- You order chicken noodle soup and a packet of saltines arrives with the bowl. Do you: 1) break the crackers into pieces and stir them into your soup or 2) squeeze them in your hand and sprinkle the crumbles into your soup or 3) leave them untouched?

Sigh… Celiacs can’t order chicken noodle soup in a restaurant.  But back in the day I’d break the crackers into pieces and then stir them into the soup.
 
 


 

Comments

  1. Congrats on the weight loss!
    I enjoyed that clip of Mike playing "Papa Gene's Blues." One of my favorites. (I wish he'd said, "Play magic fingers!")
    Back in 2022, when I heard a news story about "a Japanese city besieged by monkeys," my first thought was -- honest to God -- "but Micky's the only one left! How much trouble could he cause?" <<< I am an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on losing the weight! That's awesome!
    I am rather jealous of all the times you've seen the Monkees in concert. I liked them a lot and it makes me sad that most of them are gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your weight loss! I need to lose weight, so I admire you for doing just that. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the weight loss! That's fantastic. I am impressed that you saw so much of the Monkees "in real life."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I loved the Monkees! I wish I had had opportunity to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not ready to go gray, either. I kind of did follow my father into his profession. He was a teacher. (Eventually. Before that, he did several other jobs.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday