Music Monday -- Rest in Peace, Peter Tork




If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you already know:  I'm a fan of The Monkees.  I was 6 years old in 1966, the year the band was created, I was part of the target audience for that TV show,

Four young men -- Davy Jones, Mickey Dolenz, Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork -- were chosen to play parts in a TV show, but eventually became a real band.

I've seen the band in concert many times. I saw all four Monkees perform at a concert in the 1980's.  I've seen:  Mickey, Peter and Davy; Mickey and Peter; and Mickey, Mike and Peter. We have tickets for a show next month with Mickey and Mike.

I cried the day Davy Jones died.

And I cried again on Thursday, when I heard that Peter Tork passed away.

Here's a photo I took at a concert  in 2016 -- Peter performing in front of a projection of the group in its heyday.  It's not a great photo, but still ...



So today's Music Monday is dedicated to The Monkees, and will highlight Peter's contributions to the group.


Peter had a career as a folk singer before he was cast in the show.  Most of the hits were sung by Davy or Mickey, but Peter got a chance to sing every now and then.  Here he is singing "Words" with Mickey:





The Monkees had a resurgence in the 1980's because segments of the 1960's TV show looked remarkably like the music videos that were popular in the 1980's.  Here's "Shades of Gray" from the TV show.  Davy sings the first verse, Peter takes the second.








During the second season, a song called "For Pete's Sake" played over the end credits.  Peter co-wrote the song with Joey Richards.







Peter got his own solo in "Auntie Grizelda", a song that was not a hit, but was nevertheless a highlight of their live show:




And finally, Peter at one of his solo concerts, performing one of the group's biggest hits:



Thank you, Peter, for the music you gave us, we will miss you.

Comments

  1. Wonderful Tribute! I loved watching The Monkees when they were on television. It was one of those shows I looked forward to watching every time it was on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that photo of Peter Tork you took with the projection of his youthful photo. I never saw the Monkees in concert but I've seen Peter Noone and Herman's Hermits twice at the New York State Fair. The Shades of Grey song was new to me (or I forgot it) and I was surprised to find it's actually a cover. Thank you for sharing your memories of the Monkees. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how sad! I hadn't heard the news of Peter's passing. I love the Monkees!! I got to see them in concert when they did a tour in the mid-80s with other oldie groups. That was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing these wonderful song selections and a little bit of his story. I had no idea that he wrote a lot of the Monkees' songs and was a folk singer before joining the group. May you RIP, Peter Tork!

    Have a boogietastic week, dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely tribute. He was a great artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You chose some great songs here. "Words" shows the band the way they always envisioned it, with Peter playing guitar, Mike playing bass, Davy playing drums and Micky as the lead singer and frontman.

    Is it just me, or did that picture of the four head shots they used during the end credits seem weird, with the heads almost perfectly severed from the bodies at the neck?

    I saw Peter's version of "Pleasant Valley Sunday" yesterday, and I thought, for all its messiness, that might be the best version I've heard of it. There's something so immediate about it.

    "Auntie Grizelda" is one of my favorite Monkees songs, because the middle with all the weird noises Peter's making is hilarious.

    I didn't remember "Shades of Gray" until I heard it here. Great song.

    Nice set!

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, you're so right about the closing credits! Spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful tribute! I was 11 when The Monkees first became popular and a huge fan, myself. Davy's death hit me hard too and now Peter! May they R.I.P. ♥ Peter was a much better musician than he was given credit for and The Monkees had some excellent songs, written by big-name songwriters. I think "Pleasant Valley Sunday" is one of the most profound. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tribute!
    I never met Peter Tork, although I would have liked to.
    I did meet Davy Jones.
    I was in Athens Greece sitting in the lobby of the Intracontinental Hotel waiting for my husband to fly back into Greece.
    Davy came in surrounded by his wife and kids, as he was to perform for New Year's Eve at the hotel.
    I couldn't help myself. I went over to speak to him and got an autograph and I felt like a teenager again.
    Davy was as nice as I always thought he would be. I cried the day that he died. Still so young.
    I will remember Athens for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tribute! My mom was a huge fan of The Monkees. I love that picture you took of Peter with his 'heyday' pic in the background. Very cool! Thanks so much for the dance!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday