Saturday 9

 

True

Welcome to Saturday: 9What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer questions, however, and here are today's questions!


Saturday 9: True (1983)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, lead singer Gary Kemp tells us he's overwhelmed by his feelings as he and a girl dance "toe to toe." What song did you most recently dance to?

We did the hora at my cousin’s wedding.

2) Falling in love makes him want to listen to "Marvin all night long," a reference to Motown great Marvin Gaye. What's your favorite love song, and who sings it?

There are so many. Hard to pick just one, but this is the first song that popped into my mind.



3) This song was inspired by Kemp's feelings for singer Clare Grogan. When they first met, they discovered a shared love of literature and for his birthday, she gave him a book she thought he'd enjoy. Who received the most recent birthday gift you gave, and what was it?

Gave my daughter cash for her birthday. I suspect it went into her wedding fund.


4) Despite the popularity of the song it inspired, the Kemp-Grogan romance never really took off. Gary was involved with another woman and Clare was seeing other men and reluctant to settle down. The timing just wasn't right for them. Do you believe luck plays a big part in romance?

Yes.

5) The cover art was created by Kemp's friend, David Band. David sketched it after seeing a man startled when a bird flew too close to him as he entered a pub. To Kemp, it represented how surprised he was by the sudden intensity of his feelings for Grogan. Band went on to become a world-renowned artist, with his work exhibited in galleries and museums in Australia, New Zealand, England and the United States. What museum have you most recently visited?

Lyndhurst.  It’s a Gothic mansion on the Hudson River, in Tarrytown, NY.  

6) In 2020, Kemp and bassist Guy Pratt launched their podcast Rockonteurs about the stories behind popular songs. Do you regularly listen to podcasts?

Not really.  I like a YouTube creator, MrBallen, who also does podcasts.  I usually watch him on YouTube, but occasionally I’ll listen to a podcast.

7) Super Mario Bros. debuted in 1983. Without looking it up, can you name gaming's most famous siblings?

No.
 
8) Also in 1983, for the first time, London's Abbey Road recording studio was open to the public. Visitors were treated to a multi-media presentation called The Beatles at Abbey Road. During the two months it was open, more than 22,000 tickets were sold. What's the most recent ticket you purchased?

I’m writing this Friday night.  We just came back from seeing Ali Stroker perform.

 9) Random question -- At your favorite restaurant, a genie will grant you one of these two wishes: 1) you can eat whatever you want without gaining weight or 2) you can order whatever you want for free. Which do you choose? 

Can we add something to the first option?  I have Celiac disease and cannot eat gluten.  My choice would be to be able to eat anything I want without consequences — no weight gain and no Celiac symptoms.
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Oh, that horn riff and Sir Paul's voice on "Silly Love Songs!" They never get old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5 I been there a couple of years ago! Along with Hyde Park and the Culinary Institute of America, I took a day bus trip to those places and West Point.
    #9 I put conditions down also, nothing too sweat because of my diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love adding the conditions to the food question! Wouldn't that be great? Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm obviously uncultured. I had to Google the Hora.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know the word Hora, but I did think of Fiddler on the Roof. That must have been a fun wedding! My granddaughter can't at Gluten. I found her some gluten free pasta to make a dish she likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiddler was very first show I saw on Broadway. Saw it with my grandmother, who grew up in a village in Poland that was just like the fictional village in the show.

      Yes, my cousin’s wedding was fun,

      Delete
  6. Yes, I think the last question meant free from consequences, so that would apply. I never did like this song. That was the year that I hated just about every big hit, but enjoyed the follow up songs that never get played anymore. So, now whenever these songs get played on the radio or it's an '80s themed thing, I just cringe at how much I hate the music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That gothic mansion sounds pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with CountryDew--the Gothic Mansion sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if I could pick up Love song, so many of them.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also enjoy Mr. Ballen.. scary stuff sometimes. And yes, the Velvet Fog..what a voice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday