Wednesday Medley









Terri's questions for the week:



1.  Ahhh... May Day!!  Happy May!  Did you celebrate this when you were a child by dancing around a Maypole or leaving flowers on someone's porch? Will you be celebrating a special occasion in May?
 
 
No, May Day wasn't really celebrated where I grew up.  It really wasn't a "thing" on Long Island.
 
Other than Mother's Day and Memorial Day, I don't have any special occasions planned for May.
(There are so many other things being celebrated today that I
think we need to give them some attention, too!)

2.  National Mother Goose Day was founded in 1987.  Can you name a nursery rhyme that would fit your life as it was in 1987?  If you are a youngster and not yet born in 1987, you may pass, of course, but do you have a favorite nursery rhyme?  HERE is a list of nursery rhymes.

Hmm...my life in 1987....

Curly Locks, Curly Locks,
Will you be mine?
You shall not wash dishes,
Nor feed the swine,
But sit on a cushion
And sew a fine seam,
And sup upon strawberries, sugar, and cream
.



(I got married in 1987, and at the time I had a typical-80's perm.)



3.  National Chocolate Parfait Day is also honored on this day. Parfait means perfect in French. Tell us about a perfect day, in your mind, and would/could it end with a chocolate parfait?


Any day that includes chocolate is a great day.  A perfect day would include time spent with my daughters, my boyfriend and other family members, and have everyone get along without tension or fighting.  Sigh.


4.  National School Principal's Day was founded to celebrate these school administrators who support and guide quality teachers and staff to provide productive learning environments for our children.  Did you have a good Principal when you were in school? Do you remember his/her name?
 
I went to very large public schools where I didn't have much interaction with the school administrators.  But in 10th grade I had the opportunity to interview our principal for the high school newspaper.  He was very impressed with the questions Iasked him.  I had a little help with those questions -- my dad was a principal in a school in NYC.

5. And perhaps the most important one is Silver Star Service Banner Day which honors the sacrifices of the combat wounded, ill, and dying service members from all branches of the military.  Do you have family members who have served this country in uniform? Tell us about them, if you will.
 
My father was a proud veteran of World War II, drafted into the Army at age 18.  I think he served for 2 years.  When he passed away, at age 88, the Army sent representatives to the funeral, to honor his service.  When the soldiers handed the flag to my mother, I cried.
 
6.  It's Hump Day! How is your week going so far?
Happy Hump Day!  My goal this week is to avoid spoilers for Avengers:Endgame.  We're seeing the movie Friday night.

Comments

  1. Good luck avoiding those spoilers. It's not going to be easy.
    Enjoy the movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy the movie and avoid the spoilers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are able to escape any spoilers! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't interact with your high school principal when your father was a principal elsewhere? I thought principals took note of those students. (I know I note students that share last names with teachers and principals. I'm surprised more administrators don't.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Favorite nursery rhyme in an old book I'd had since childhood was about a ship, which had a crew of 24 white mice. The 4th stanza went like this: The Captain was a duck, With a packet on his back; And when the ship began to move, the Captain said, "Quack, quack." So in 2008 or so, I read the poem to our grandson, then about 7. He looked at the picture. He wasn't as charmed by this nursery rhyme as I was, so I was a little disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost picked Curly Locks for mine! LOL Thank you for joining the Medley today! I really enjoyed your answers about your Principals and your dad. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank-you to your dad for his service!
    Curly Locks would work for me! I have naturally curly hair and always have. hee, hee Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure hope you enjoy the movie friday.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, there were 850 kids in my graduating class. And I was somewhat anonymous, a good kid who kept a relatively low profile. We lived on Long Island, my dad was a principal in the NYC school system. No one at my school knew what my dad did for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I am very much looking forward to the movie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A