Wednesday Hodgepodge

Once again I turn to Joyce for the Hodgepodge.




1. Growing up, were you close to your grandparents? Tell us one or two specific things you remember about them.

The only grandparent I knew was my maternal grandmother.  My maternal grandfather and paternal grandparents died before I was born.  My sisters and I were her only grandchildren.  And yes, we were close.  She loved to tell stories about her childhood in a small town in Europe, and about her early experiences as an immigrant to the US.  I've lost count how many times she told us about the day she became an American citizen.  when I visited Ellis Island, it was her voice I heard in my head.

2. What's an item you were attached to as a child? What happened to it?

I remember a toy horse, a stuffed animal that had my name on it.  I loved that horse.  No idea what happened to it, though.

3. When you look out your window do you see the forest or the trees (literally and figuratively)? Explain.

I live in a wooded area, I see trees from my window. There's a forest behind the house.  Very lovely.

But what you're really asking, do I see the big picture or am I lost in the details.  I do tend to be a big picture type, though I understand that details are important, too.

4. Do you like sour candies? Which of the 'sour' foods listed below would you say is your favorite?

grapefruit, Greek yogurt, tart cherries, lemons, limes, sauerkraut, buttermilk, or kumquats 

Have you ever eaten a kumquat? What's your favorite dish containing one of the sour foods on the list?

Yes, I like sour candy, but no, I've never eaten a kumquat.  I don't like grapefruit, never tried buttermilk,  I like everything else on the list.  Nothing beats a hot dog with sauerkraut!

5. July 1st marked the mid point of 2017. In fifteen words or less, tell us how it's going so far.

It's been an interesting year so far, some things expected. some surprises. Not bad overall.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

The summer is flying by far to quickly.  wish I could slow things down!

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading about your maternal grandma. I bet it was fascinating listening to her stories of village life in Europe. I sure wish summer would slow down. Winter comes too soon and is too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live amongst a lot of trees, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - summer is going way too fast! My kids only have 3 more weeks before they go back to school and that's crazy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a hotdog with sauerkraut! I really enjoyed reading the little snippets people have shared about their grandparents. Thanks for joining in the HP this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A