Jones Beach fallout

So yesterday, right after I blogged about walking at the beach, an article from the New York Times popped up on my Facebook.  Originally published in July 2015, How Walking In Nature Changes the Brain talks about how science has been able to quantify the effects of a nature walk on human behavior.  I don't need a scientist to tell me that walking in nature improves my mood, but the science is interesting nonetheless.

I mentioned Teddy Roosevelt.  I think most people are familiar with the former President. A conservationist and promoter of public parkland, he made his home in Oyster Bay, Long Island.  We don't have huge federal parks around here, but he was an inspiration nonetheless.

I also mentioned Robert Moses.  People outside of New York may not recognize that name.  He was a politician appointed to head several NYC and NY State agencies throughout his career.  He is responsible for many of the state parks, and the parkways that lead to those parks.  He was behind the building of the Triborough Bridge, the Battery Tunnel, and the Throgs Neck Bridge.  He also made some very bad decisions -- Walter O'Malley took the Dodgers out of Brooklyn because Moses wouldn't help him find a suitable location to replace Ebbets Field, the 1964-1965 World's Fair was a financial failure, and his destruction of small neighborhoods in favor of large housing projects exacerbated the urban blight he was trying to cure.

so...what will pop into my head the next time I'm at the beach?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday