expanding my horizons

It's a dilemma I never thought I'd have.

I've become a bit obsessed with physical fitness.  Anyone who's known me for a long time will find that rather out of character, but...well, better late than never.

So these days I'm really enjoying my Planet Fitness membership.  30 minutes of strength training, followed by cardio on the recumbent bike and/or the treadmill, then a little stretching in the mat room before using the massage chair or the hydrobed.  I love being able to use the gym near my office during the week and use the gym near Drew's house on weekends.

I go to the gym 2-3 times a week.  And when I'm not there, I'm either walking outdoors, or using a Leslie Sansone powerwalking DVD.

 Since the community pool opened, I'm there once or twice a week.  I do a little bit of lap swimming, it feels really good.

And now I've dug up my old yoga DVD's and mat -- I take the mat out to Drew's back yard on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  I'm not very good at it, but I'm trying.  I'd like to take a class eventually.

And that's the problem with Planet Fitness.  They don't have a pool, they don't teach classes like yoga.  What am I going to do in September, when the community pool closes?  Where can I take my yoga class?

Before I joined Planet Fitness, I had considered re-joining the JCC.  They have fitness equipment, an indoor track, a pool, water aerobics and yoga classes.  But a JCC membership includes cultural activities as well as the gym, so it's very expensive.  Not to mention, the place closes for religious holidays.  And while it's convenient to my house, it's not convenient to Drew's. 

I had also considered LA Fitness -- there's one near my office, and one near Drew.  They have a pool, they have yoga and other interesting classes.  But they're twice the price of Planet Fitness, and Planet Fitness felt a lot less intimidating.

These days,  I'm really liking the atmosphere at Planet Fitness, I don't think I'm ready to switch to another facility.  So I'm going to look into a water aerobics class at the JCC, it's open to nonmembers, or maybe look  at the swimming programs available to the community at our high school natatorium.  

And maybe I'll look into yoga studios for a class. 

If I do either of these, it'll cost more than membership at LA Fitness.  But I think maybe I should explore the possibilities before I switch gyms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday