Easily one of the most famous pizza restaurants in the city, John's sits in the heart of the Theater District. It's located in a beautiful building that once housed a church. Make sure to look up at the domed ceiling.
The place caters to a theater-going crowd, and tends to be crowded just before and after shows. We went on a Thursday evening around 8:30. We were a large party but were seated almost immediately.
The menu offers a variety of Italian dishes. Garlic bread served as an appetizer was very pungent and topped with gooey mozarella. A salad "for two" was easily shared by four. I've always liked the pizza rolls, but was disappointed that this appetizer was not served until the entrees were on the table. Chicken parm was adequate but not outstanding -- the cheese on top were overly-browned, almost to the point of being burnt.
The specialty here is pizza. Thin crust, brick oven pizza. Served hot, crispy and delicious. They don't sell by the slice. You must buy the whole pie. Trust me, this is not a hardship. The waitstaff proudly wear tee shirts proclaiming: "No Slices".
This has been one of our "go-to" places for a long time. It never disappoints.
life in and around NYC is insane
- ► 2016 (223)
- ► 2015 (395)
- ► 2014 (359)
- Carvahlos revisited
- Full employment for the chickadees
- JFK and the TV news
- The Liebster Award
- "Oils" - A Thanksgivukkah Miracle (Royals song par...
- More than just a cultural icon
- It's never good news
- Speaker phones -- a rant
- Smokin' Al's
- Songbird Salutes the 70's
- The Hunger Games:Catching Fire
- Grocery shopping!
- Pastrami Plus
- The Bright Lights of Broadway
- Teppanyaki redux: Gasho of Japan
- Applebees for dinner
- Thor:The Dark World (spoiler alert)
- John's Pizza
- Songbird Salutes the 70's: Double Daylight Saving...
- Typhoon Haiyan
- On the 11th day of the 11th month of the 11th year...
- If you had to be trapped inside a movie for 5 days...
- Birth story, part 2
- birth story
- Happy birthday!!
- 12 Years A Slave
- Songbird salutes the 70's: Wishniks
- Welcome to my world
- Growing up
- Candlelight Diner
- Duchess update
- ▼ November (35)
- ► 2012 (271)
- ► 2011 (269)
- ► 2010 (367)
- ► 2009 (296)