weekend in New England

I can't believe how much fun I had this weekend.

My ex and I drove up to Rhode Island Saturday afternoon to pack up Jen's room, and drove home yesterday. Her last exam is tomorrow morning, and she'll be home tomorrow night.

We took her out to dinner, to a chain restaurant called Cello's, and we took her out to breakfast to a local place, a hole-in-the-wall called Phil's, which has the best eggs and pancakes in the state. we drove around the neighborhood surrounding her college -- it's farm country, and we saw cows and sheep behind those stone walls and fences. We saw the dorm where she'll be living next September -- upprclassmen have much nicer accomodations than freshmen.

and I got to see a lot of father-daugher interaction, the type of thing I didn't really see whn the girls were younger because Drew and I were always so hostile towards each other. Jen and Drew have the same sarcastic sense of humor, watching them bounce zingers off each other was ....incredible. Jen was gratified to learn that my foot reaches for the invisible brake pedal whenever I ride shotgun, not just when I am sitting beside her.

During the long ride home, in the rain, Drew and I listened to Broadway show tunes... and I realized, as I was belting out standards such as "Tomorrow", "There's NO Business Like Show Business" and "If I Were a Rich Man" that there's such a long, shared history between us, that there are so many things we have in common, and that there's no one else in my life right now who'd ever get "treated" to a songbird singalong (I do love to sing, but no one loves to listen!)...I do feel comfortable with my ex, there's a friendship there that has resurfaced since hostilities ceased. I am glad we've reached this point in our relationship, though it does scare our daughters a bit -- the girls have no memory of the 4 of us living together as a family, they remember only the fighting that went on afterwards. I am amazed to to say that I had a genuinely good time with Drew, something I would not have thought possible just a few years ago.

sigh. My baby's first year of college is almost over, she'll be home for 4 months of summer vacation. she's growing up...

Comments

  1. As one who knows that feeling of forging a comfortable friendship with her ex - yay! I am glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that after a bitter end, you and Drew have become friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday