West Side Story

A revival of West side Story has arrived on Broadway.

I love this musical. A timeless, tragic love story, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Sondheim, Jerome Robbins choreography...I memorized the original cast album, played it so often that I wore out the vinyl. I can give you a point by point description of what they changed for the moive (saw the movie on TV last week, it still makes me cry). I was in the chorus of a (very bad) high school production of the show (our Maria had dark hair but was very pale, our Tony looked more Puerto Rican than Chino or Bernardo). And I saw a revivial of the show on Broadway in the 80's.

what intrigues me about Laurent's current production ---some of the scenes and some of the songs are done entirely in Spanish. more authentic that way, he says.

I took Spanish all through junior high and high school, even took a few classes in college. I was very fluent back in the day, but I've forgotten most of it. still, I know the show well enough that I'd be able to follow along.

maybe I will try for tickets.

Comments

  1. I love West Side Story too. Guys and Dolls is on Broadway again also. Now, if I only had some disposable income...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by during the UBP09.

    I have been wanting to see this too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A