Saturday 9

 

People

Welcome to
 Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: People (1964)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here

1) In this song, Barbra Streisand sings that pride can get in the way of happy relationships. Have you found that to be true? 

No

2) The photo on the record sleeve was taken on Chicago's Oak Street Beach, as Barbra watches the sun rise over Lake Michigan. Have you been to the beach yet this summer? 

No.  Here on Long Island you are always close to the beach, and we love to spend time near the water.  But between preparing for my daughter’s upcoming wedding and packing up to move house, I haven’t had time to sit on the sand.

3) Barbra performed "People" more than 1,350 times when she played Fanny Brice onstage in Funny Girl. She also did it in her Oscar-winning turn as Fanny in the film version. She performed it in her first TV special back in 1964 and in at least 510 concerts since. That's a lot of "People!" Can you think of another performer who has/had a song that is so identified with them you can't imagine seeing them in concert without hearing it?

4) Barbra got her first pet, a poodle named Sadie, as a gift from the Funny Girl behind-the-scenes crew when she was 23 years old and she's had dogs in her life ever since. Did you have pets when you were growing up?  

Yes, I had a poodle and a cat.  

5) Barbra has always taken her Jewish faith seriously, beginning with her days at the Yeshiva of Brooklyn. 70 years later, her old school is still there. How about your grammar school? Does it still stand? 

I went to two elementary schools — we moved when I was in third grade.  My first school is still operating as a public school.


My second school, the one my kids eventually attended too, is also operating as a school, but now it’s a private school.  The public school district still owns the building and leases it to the private school.

6) She tried marijuana a couple times but didn't like it and the only alcohol she drinks is the occasional beer with her Chinese food. Are you like Barbra and generally abstain? Or do you enjoy pot and/or alcohol?

I like an occasional glass of wine or a cocktail. I’m a real lightweight and don’t indulge very often,

I wasn’t really interested in pot.  Mostly because I was afraid I’d get caught,

7) Barbra's favorite lunch is a bowl of Campbell's condensed tomato soup. If we were to peek into your pantry, would we find any canned soup?

Yes, several cans. I can’t eat gluten, so when I find gluten free soups I tend to stock up.

8) In 1964, when this song was popular, hats were, too. The Sears Spring/Summer catalog devoted six pages to ladies hats and two pages to mens. Are hats part of your wardrobe?

A few baseball caps and a couple of sun hats, and a few winter hats.


9) Random question: Which of your personality traits has gotten you in the most trouble?

My ability to argue and my tenaciousness when arguing.  That ability serves me well professionally but sometimes in social situations I need to shut my mouth …




Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

 

 

Comments

  1. At least you can make some money whole speaking up. I hope you get to the beach before you move. Will you still be by the beach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are moving about a mile down the road, so yes, near the beach.

      Delete
  2. #9: I was a writer for 43 years and so being verbal was valuable ... professionally. Like you, I sometimes I could find my own damn off button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have about come to the conclusion that I need to keep my mouth shut most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am on the quiet side by nature (which seems odd since I blab away on my blog) and I've frequently been told that when I do speak people listen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #9. Compassion and empathy. They should actually solve problems. But sometimes when I think of the other side I am unable to be strict and ruthless which some situations demand. That gets me into a problem. The ability to be firm as well considerate is not an easy balancing act.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Piano Man! It is probably my all-time favorite song.
    Another poodle owner...it seems several of us had them growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbra had indulged in alcohol way more than me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

Music Monday

Ultimate Blog Party!!!!