commuter ramblings

So I am a not-so-happy commuter.  I'm watching the sunrise each morning as I wait for the 7:11 train, and it's dark when I get back to my station around 7 PM.  Not fun.

And I do not like being squashed.  The seats in a Long Island Railroad car are not particularly generous.  I am a large woman, and the woman who sat next to  me squeezed her huge butt into the seat next to mine was even larger.  She must have outweighed me by at least 50 pounds.  I’m sorry, but when I’m already up against the wall, no amount of wiggling and pushing on her part is going to result in more room for her to sit .

I would not be at all surprised to hear that there's been a pedestrian accident at my station one of these days. Seriously.   The parking lot is on the north side of the station, and all of the eastbound trains platofrm on the south side of the station.  People who get off the evening rush hour trains have to cross the tracks ot reach their cars, and I've seen many of them walk across the railroad crossing even when the lights are flashing and the gates are down.  Crazy.

And how callous would it be to say I hope it doesn't happen until after I've gone home?

And there are days when I feel like a hypocrite on the subway...someone starts begging for money or food, claimin they are homeless and unemployed, and yet instead of being sympathetic, I feel like I'm being conned.

But then again ...

Years ago, when I was living in Brooklyn, a nice young man approached me as I was coming out of the subway station.  He gave me some sob story, told me he needed money for the subway, and I gave him a dollar.  Three days later, the same young man approached me again with the same sob story.

Sigh.

But there is a bright spot. Penn Station, and the various subway stations I visit, are alive with music.  I've heard classical violin, steel drums, lots of guitars, and even a sitar...

Comments

  1. At least it makes for an interesting blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One never know about homeless person. I have never done with trains and such much.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday