Saturday 9

 



Don't Take Your Love from Me 

 

 
Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Saturday 9: Don't Take Your Love from Me (1956)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Doris Day sings about what happens when you take a petal from a rose. When did you last get or give flowers as a gift?

I love getting flowers.  I love buying flowers for myself.  My cat Shadow sees a vase full of flowers and thinks “that’s a yummy salad”.
 
2) This song is about a woman who fears losing her love. What's the most recent thing you lost? (Hopefully it's not as consequential as a great love. It could be as small or unimportant as the back of one of your pierced earrings.) 

I thought I lost an earring at the movies.  Looked all over the seat, the floor, etc.  I found it on the floor of the car, I never had it inside the theater.
 
3) Doris was known as The All-American Girl Next Door. Who lives next door to you? 

My nice neighbor is Tom.  I chat with him occasionally.

On the other side … we don’t talk to them.  We rent our house, and our property manager told us that those neighbors were constantly fighting with the previous tenants.  We don’t do anything that might antagonize them and they leave us alone.
 
4) As a young girl, Doris Day was passionate about dance. She recalled that concentrating on her lessons helped distract her from the pain and embarrassment of her parents' divorce. When you want to escape from what's troubling you, what do you do?

I go for a walk.

5) The the maitre d' at one of Doris' favorite restaurants wanted to ask her out. Knowing how she loved her dogs, he impressed her by handing her a bag of meat scraps and bones to take home. They began dating and, in 1976, he became her last husband. What's the best way to your heart? 

Hmmm…I have to think about that.  

 
6) Over her long career, Doris received Golden Globe and Grammy Awards and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She was also inducted into the Ohio Women's Hall of Fame, honored for being one of the most celebrated women to have been born there. Name a famous person born in your home state.

OMG I could make a list.  A very long list.

I’ll stick to Long Islanders.

I currently live less than a mile from the house where Billy Joel grew up.  Hicksville, NY.  One of my teachers had gone to school with him.  Drew actually met him before he was famous.  

I’m not too far from Massapequa, home of the Baldwin brothers,Jerry Seinfeld, Brian Seltzer, Joey Buttafuocco and the Gilgo Beach killer.  

Let’s hop over to Long Beach (Billy Crystal) or Huntington (Harry Chapin), Greenlawn (Mariah Carey), Dix Hills (Ralph Macchio — I met him once before he was famous), Lindenhurst (Pat Benetar), Commack (Rosie O’Donnell) … see what I mean?
 
7) She was frank about her financial difficulties, yet some people are uncomfortable discussing about money. Are you one of those people?

I keep my finances to myself.

8) In 1956, when Doris released this song, The Wizard of Oz was shown on network TV for the first time. What movie have you seen multiple times?

Quite a few, actually.  I really love this one.



9) Random question: Would you rather have a chef or a chauffeur?

Hmm…

I like having a driver’s license and I like owning a car.  They represent freedom to me.  The act of driving is a means of obtaining that freedom.  I don’t dislike it but I don’t like it. But to be honest, Drew does the driving whenever we go anywhere together.

On the other hand, I like cooking, but I don’t always have time to do it.  I’m really into healthy eating these days, so …I’ll take the chef.

 


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!
 

Comments