Pork chops are the bane of my existence

Yes, pork chops.

I can’t figure out how to cook them.

Really.

My mother kept a kosher home.   Like many Jews, we’d eat non kosher foods when we weren’t home, but my mother never cooked shellfish or pork. My mother taught me to cook, but obviously she didn’t show me how to make a decent pork chop.

I’ve ordered pork in restaurants (I couldn’t imagine a Chinese restaurant without pork fried rice or spare ribs), but until recently I never tried to make pork chops at home.

Pork chops look so good in the meat refrigerator at the supermarket.  But when I get them home … dry and tasteless. 

I’ve tried the oven, I’ve tried a sauté pan, I’ve even tried an air fryer.  

Dry and tasteless.

Sigh.

I guess I’m just going to make pork chops my “restaurant” dish.

Comments

  1. Brown the pork chops in shortening. Add some onions, chopped. Then, in some Golden Mushroom soup (we always used Campell's), set to to barely simmer in an electric skillet all day. (A couple cans, enough to cover the chops, and water, of course. You don't want this too thick or too thin.) This was always a weekend dish. The trick was to set the temp so that there were barely any bubbles. If it was totally boiling, it was way too hot. But if wasn't almost bubbling, it was too cool.

    (I suppose this would work just as well in a crock pot. My mother had one, but she always did this in the electric skillet. This is her recipe.)

    Serve when the meat is falling apart. I can't say for sure how long it would cook, but a good five hours probably.

    We always had it served with rice, but I'm sure you can figure out other sides for it. The Golden Mushroom soup is enough "sauce" or "gravy" to go with it.

    This is the only way we ate pork chops. I'm sure others have wonderful ways to cook it. This one is pretty foolproof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So only in America would a Jewish reader of your blog see your question ask her husband (Italian heritage) about cooking pork chops so they aren't dry. His suggestion: poach them in apple cider. First put enough apple cider in pan to cover the chops (but don't add the chops yet). He would season the cider with chopped garlic, salt, and when the cider comes to a boil add the chops, then lower to the lowest simmer, cover. Depending on their thickness cook 10-12 minutes. Take chops out and boil the cider to reduce it to a thicker sauce. Serve with sweet potatoes. (But Liz's dish may be easier and it reminds me of years ago when I cooked chicken breasts in Campbell's cream of mushroom soup.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm I right. When eating out you probably had pork or shell fish.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday