The Oscars

 Of course I watched the show.  I saw only a few of the nominated films, but I enjoyed the music, the comedy, etc.  some of the acceptance speeches are impressive.

Two incidents stand out.

The first was the Chris Rock/Will Smith/Jada Pinkett Smith situation.  Rock came on stage to present an award, but before he did so, he made a joke about Jada.  The joke was in poor taste.  Will laughed, until he saw Jada’s reaction to the joke.  Then he lost his temper, ran up onto the stage, and slapped Rock.Will returned to his seat and shouted expletives at Rock.  

Anyone who thinks the situation was faked should review the video of the room during the commercial break.  Will Smith was still very emotional, and had to be soothed by Denzel Washington, Tyler Perry and others.  Later, after he won the Oscar for Best Actor, he gave a very emotional acceptance speech, in which he talked about protecting family.  He apologized to the Academy and his fellow nominees, but did not apologize to Rock.

But what really got to me was Lady Gaga and Liza Minnelli.  Gaga was slated to present the award for Best Picture.   But we were in for a surprise!  When it was time for the Best Picture award, the announcer introduced Lady Gaga … and Liza Minnelli! Liza was invited because it’s the 50th anniversary of her big film, Cabaret.

But there was Liza, age 76, in a wheelchair, old and confused.  She is recovering from encephalitis.  Gaga, having toured with Tony Bennett (who is suffering from Alzheimer’s), was so good  to Liza, so kind and protective.   I was upset and crying. 

The only good part of seeing Liza … she didn’t follow in her mother’s footsteps.  She’s ill, not addicted.  As sad as it was to see her in her current condition, at least she didn’t die from an overdose in her 40’s.

That image of Liza will haunt me.

Comments

  1. I don't know if the Liza Minelli thing was a good idea. She looked so confused. The slap incident... At least we have something to talk about today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tuned in CBS this morning at 7am and that slap incident seemed to be the only thing they wanted to talk about. (Liza Minelli wasn't mentioned, at least in the segment I was able to listen to before my work day started.) I have to admit, even as a youngster I had no interest in the stars, but Lady Gaga is one of a kind. Should she had invited Liza to join her? I don't know, but the Lady handled it well. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday