Hot new recipes = foods I’ve eaten my whole life

 So the recipes that are popping up in my news feed … traditional Ukrainian foods.  Eating these foods is supposed to show solidarity with the people of Ukraine.

Foods like stuffed cabbage, pierogi and vareniki (just like kreplach) babka, nalysnky (blintzes) kasha with mushrooms and onions, deruny (latkes/potato pancakes) …

My grandmother would have recognized those foods.  

I am enjoying reading the recipes.  And I’m enjoying cooking a few of them.


Comments

  1. Oh yes, stuffed cabbage, kasha vaniskes, borscht (vegetarian in my Mom's house.)Smoked whitefish. All comfort/soul food for me and I've been reading about more foods not from my childhood. I remember the appetizing stores with all their types of herring (which apparently Ukranians get into, too) but we weren't fans.Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have very different news feeds. I think I like yours better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuff cabbage rolls is something I haven't made for ages.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin,

    My grandmother made stuffed cabbage when I was little. That was really good stuff. I've been meaning to try to make it myself but have yet to do it. Unfortunately eating cabbage is very hard on my digestive system. It doesn't stop me from eating it but I should. I hope someday to try making stuffed cabbage, though. I hope all is well with you. We missed you on the dance floor this week, my love. Be well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday