Daylight Saving redux

So did you hear?  The Senate has voted to make Daylight Saving Time permanent.  If the House agrees, we won’t have to change our clocks twice a year.


Good idea or bad?


I’m not sure.


I mean, changing the clocks is a pain, and the time changes wreak havoc on our inner clocks for a week or two.  Accidents, heart attacks, all sorts of scary things happen right after we change the clocks.

But we tried year-round Daylight Saving Time back in the 70’s, during the energy crisis.  I remember arriving at school in the dark.  It was eerie.  People hated it.

Maybe it would be better to return to standard time year-round?

I’m not sure.

Here’s an interesting article on the subject.


Comments

  1. I heard on the news it wouldn't start until 2023 anyway as the trucking industry has already set their schedules for this year, and it would throw everything off. So, some more time, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good example of "be careful what you wish for". I sure remember the 1974 experiment in year round Daylight Saving Time. It was, to put it mildly, a disaster, with the sun not rising until nearly 8:15 am in early January. Personally, I would go for year round standard time, which they had in Florida when I first visited there in July of 1966. Arizona, outside the Navaho reservation, still has it. I think Standard Time just aligns more with the way we operat although I would miss the late summer sunsets. If we have another year round DST disaster we'll never get year round anything after that, I fear. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's stick with standard time year round.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday