Saturday 9

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey




Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9: Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (1971)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics tell us Paul believes it's going to rain. How's the weather where you are today?

I'm writing this on Wednesday, and the weather is beautiful.  We're supposed to get rain tomorrow, Friday and Saturday.


2) Paul sings that he is sorry because he hasn't "done a bloody thing all day." What do you hope to accomplish this weekend?

Not a bloody thing.


3) He also references butter pie, which is made primarily with potatoes (with onions and, of course, butter). That dish is not popular on this side of the Atlantic. Last time you had potatoes, how were they prepared (baked, mashed, hash browned, french fried ...)?

Most recently?  Chips.   But I have never met a potato dish I didn't like.


4) Linda McCartney is credited as co-writer and performer on this recording. Paul and Linda were partners in real life, too; married 29 years, they raised four children together. They often said they tried never to spend more than a few hours apart. Do you enjoy a lot of togetherness, or do you value your personal time? Has your experience with Covid19 and quarantine changed how you feel about this?

This is an interesting question.  Before Covid 19 Drew and I were together only on weekends, I'd come here Friday and leave Sunday.  But I live with my 87 year old mother and my three younger sisters.  To protect my mother I have been quarantining at Drew's house. We are not used to such togetherness, and we've gotten on each other's nerves more than once.


5) Paul and Linda came from very different backgrounds. His family was lower middle class, lived in Liverpool's public housing and received government aid. She grew up in affluent Scarsdale, the daughter of a wealthy theatrical attorney. Do you think it's more important for a couple to share a common background, or to share common interests?

Interests.  Definitely interests.


6) Paul is known for his work ethic. At age 78, he's still making music and performing live. What's your favorite Paul McCartney song?

Oh there are so many....

Let me choose just one....

In July 2009 Sir Paul played two concerts at Citi Field in NYC, later released as a DVD called Good Evening NYC.  Drew and I were at the first concert.    He sang Beatles songs, and Wings songs, and songs from his solo career.   I could easily pick almost any song from that concert and call it my favorite.  

I've narrowed it down to two:






The other song?  Well, in July 2008 Billy Joel did a couple of concerts at Shea Stadium, and invited Sir Paul to join him for two songs.  Sir Paul returned the favor at Citi Field the following year.







7) In 1971, when this song was a hit, Bobby Fischer was the world's most famous and highest-rated chess player. Do you play chess?


I know the rules but never mastered the strategy.


8) England's Princess Anne turned 21 in 1971. The occasion was commemorated by a formal portrait, taken by celebrated fashion photographer Norman Parkinson. Who took the most recent photo of you?


I took a selfie and posted it on Facebook.
9) Random question: Do you find it more satisfying to work with your hands, or your head?


I've never been very good working with my hands.



Comments

  1. I loved all your answers!

    Live and Let Die is always wonderful in concert. Billy Joel has always credit Sir Paul as one of his musical heroes, so seeing them together is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your song choices! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever met a potato dish I haven't liked, either! Remember that fitness guru lady back in the 80's or 90's that was always telling us to eat all the baked potatoes we wanted and still lose weight? I so wanted her to be right.

    I enjoyed your answers and song choices. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love my potatoes as well. 1971... I do not remember that year at all. Well, to be fair, I was in utero for 7 months of it, alive for only the last 5...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am borderline on potatoes. For one thing, they came up as something I am supposedly allergic to in a food allergy test about 35 years ago - something to do with the yeast in them. So I limit my consumption of them but still eat them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday