tales from the commuter front

So the downtown #3 express train pulls in just as I arrive on the platform. Some passengers get off, a bunch of us get on.  It's so crowded that I cannot move.  More people are standing on the platform, unable to board the train.  Guess they will just have to wait for the next one.

And then we hear the dreaded announcement:  Attention passsengers, there is congestion up ahead.  We should be moving shortly.

And so we wait. 

Please stand clear of the closing doors.

The doors start to close, but then open again.

And we wait. 

Two men standing behind me debate whether to get off the train and take the #1 local instead.  They decide that they should stay on this train and wait, that by the time they get to the local train, this train will be moving.


Attention passsengers, there is a stalled train up ahead.  We should be moving shortly.

A young woman decides she's had enough.  She makes her way from the center of the car to the door.  Just as she exist the train and steps away from the door...

Please stand clear of the closing doors.

The doors close and the train begins to move.

Comments

  1. Isn't that always the way. In my youth, I was very impatient. I would have been off the train and jogging to the next platform. Now, eh, not so much. It is what it is, and I will get there when I get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naturally. It's always that way, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely dread the next time I have to ride the subway. (the last time was in 2013). I wonder what it is like on Christmas Eve. Aaargh. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My office is closed on Christmas Eve so I won’t be on the subway, but Penn Station on Christmas Eve was always a disaster

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday