Ouch!

So my latest "medical crisis"?

My right knee.

I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony that the reason my knee hurts is that I decided to stop being a couch potato and that I've lost weight and become more physically active.

My knee doesn't hurt when I am walking.  But it hurts when I'm exercising, when I do squats, hamstring curls, lunges, anything that puts weight on my right leg while my knee is bent.

And sometimes, when I'm sitting or lying down, if I shift position, I'll hear a "pop", and I'll feel pain shooting through the knee.

The physician's assistant at my orthopedist's office tells me that the X rays and MRI show I have an old injury, that I likely tore my meniscus years ago, and that I aggravated the condition when I started to get active.

He prescribed a topical cream, an anti inflammatory, that I can use for temporary relief.  And he is requesting authorization from my insurance company to give me injections in my knee -- a gel that will replace the missing cartilage,  that will cushion the bones and lubricate the joint.

The gel lasts about 6 months - one year.  The only permanent solution is a knee replacement, and he's not recommending that for me.  The gel will give me relief, and  gel has few side effects, so if I have to repeat the procedure, that's what I'll do.

But isn't exercise supposed to make you feel better?

Comments

  1. I guess the question is, do you really want to keep exercising? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you talk to someone who would know which type of exersising you could possible do?...Like yoga...Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A