"authorization"

Who decides your medical care?  You?  Your doctor? Or your insurance carrier?

The word "authorization" is the bane of my existence right now.

So during my first visit to the orthopedist, he examined me, took an x-ray, and said "I know what your problem is, but you need an MRI to confirm the diagnosis.  I'll have my office get an authorization for an MRI from your insurance company."

Second visit to the orthopedist.  "The MRI confirms the diagnosis, I'll get an authorization from your insurer to do the gel injections.  It will take a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm sending a prescription to your pharmacy.  It's a cream that will help with the inflammation."

Visit to the pharmacy.  "We got the prescription from the doctor, but your insurance company needs to give us an authorization to dispense it.  We called your doctor, he'll call the insurance company to get the authorization."

Frustrating!!!!

So it's Aleve until the cream is available.  At least the orthopedist showed me how to modify my exercise routine so that I can keep moving without aggravating the knee injury.



Comments

  1. I'd make an argument for single payer here, but I fear that it would still be the same run around even then. When health care is all about the money, people end up suffering. Modern life, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, too. You are in very good (and large) company. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A