life in and around NYC is insane

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Crazy, screwed up family (part 1)

And not in a good way.

So I have been telling you about the wonder twins.

Did I mention that the whole family is just as dysfunctional?

We are in the midst of a major family drama.  And it cannot have a good outcome.

It focuses on me, and my job.

I work for a large insurance company.  I handle complex environmental claims.  The company is going through major changed right now.  There is a new regime in upper management.  My department is about to merge with another department.  We are about to get a new senior vice president and no one knows who it is.  And people in both departments are doing a head count and wondering about a reduction in force.

And now we are a paperless office, and in the midst of a project that will make us all telecommuters.  The plan is to have 3 days at home and two in the office.  The first group from my department is starting telecommuting this week.  My turn is coming soon.  I haven't been given a date yet, but soon.  The company's lease is set to expire May 1 and they've renewed for only half the space -- you don't need as many cubicles when telecommuters share space.

I looked around, and what few jobs are out there . . . Telecommuting is the new trend in my industry.

So how does the crazy dysfunctional family fit in?

Not only am I not getting any support from them, they are throwing obstacles in my way.

You would think that since I am the only one gainfully employed, they would realize it's in everyone's best interest to see that I remain so.

But no . . .in this job market, where the corporate culture in my office has become unsettled, where being a problem employee of any sort has become extremely risky, I found myself in the embarassing situation of having to tell my boss I may have a problem with telecommuting.

Because I have never been destined to have peace and comfort in my home life.

2 comments:

MJ said...

So do you live with your sisters? I might have missed the post about your living situation...

I'm so sorry, though. That's totally not cool.

I've lived with family; I feel for you.

I sincerely hope that things improve, and that your job is secure.

songbird's crazy world said...

Yes, MJ. It 's a full house -- elderly parents, me, my two younger sisters, my college student daughters whenever they're home on break, and two cats. With frequent visits from my other younger sister.

Blog Archive

About Me