Crazy, screwed up family (part 1)

And not in a good way.

So I have been telling you about the wonder twins.

Did I mention that the whole family is just as dysfunctional?

We are in the midst of a major family drama.  And it cannot have a good outcome.

It focuses on me, and my job.

I work for a large insurance company.  I handle complex environmental claims.  The company is going through major changed right now.  There is a new regime in upper management.  My department is about to merge with another department.  We are about to get a new senior vice president and no one knows who it is.  And people in both departments are doing a head count and wondering about a reduction in force.

And now we are a paperless office, and in the midst of a project that will make us all telecommuters.  The plan is to have 3 days at home and two in the office.  The first group from my department is starting telecommuting this week.  My turn is coming soon.  I haven't been given a date yet, but soon.  The company's lease is set to expire May 1 and they've renewed for only half the space -- you don't need as many cubicles when telecommuters share space.

I looked around, and what few jobs are out there . . . Telecommuting is the new trend in my industry.

So how does the crazy dysfunctional family fit in?

Not only am I not getting any support from them, they are throwing obstacles in my way.

You would think that since I am the only one gainfully employed, they would realize it's in everyone's best interest to see that I remain so.

But no . . .in this job market, where the corporate culture in my office has become unsettled, where being a problem employee of any sort has become extremely risky, I found myself in the embarassing situation of having to tell my boss I may have a problem with telecommuting.

Because I have never been destined to have peace and comfort in my home life.

Comments

  1. So do you live with your sisters? I might have missed the post about your living situation...

    I'm so sorry, though. That's totally not cool.

    I've lived with family; I feel for you.

    I sincerely hope that things improve, and that your job is secure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, MJ. It 's a full house -- elderly parents, me, my two younger sisters, my college student daughters whenever they're home on break, and two cats. With frequent visits from my other younger sister.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A