Saturday 9

 

Mahler: Symphony No. 8

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9 -- Mahler: Symphony No. 8 (1968)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Mahler's No. 8 is sometimes referred to as "Symphony of a Thousand" because it was scored for a large orchestra and choral force. Do you often listen to classical music?

No.  I like classical music, but I don’t know much about it. 


2) This piece has solos for each of the main vocal ranges: soprano, alto, tenor, bass. Do you know which range your voice is in?

I was in the chorus in junior high.  Teacher had me sing alto.


3) Historians tell us Mahler kept fit by swimming and riding his bike along the Alpine trails. What's your favorite form of exercise? 

Walking.

4) Mahler could be difficult to work with because when it came to his music, he was a stickler over even the most minor details and wouldn't give an inch. Would you rather work as part of a team or on your own?

I can be a team player when necessary, but I prefer to work on my own.

5) This week's featured artist, Leonard Bernstein, said his father didn't want him to pursue music. Instead the elder Bernstein wanted his son to either join the family business (a beauty supply company) or become a rabbi. Did your family try to influence your choice of career?

No.  My parents wanted me to be educated and have a career, but they didn’t push me in any direction.  I decided on the law when I was in high school.  My parents were very proud.

6) Bernstein's best-known work is West Side Story. Without looking it up, can you name a song from this beloved Broadway classic?

I was in a production of West Side Story in high school.  Not only can I name all the songs, I know the lyrics for most of them.


7) Born in Lawrence, MA, Bernstein "went home" when he performed with the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood in Lenox, MA. Tanglewood has played host to a variety of musical artists. In 2022, Ringo Starr, Bonnie Raitt, and James Taylor all performed there (with James Taylor scheduled to return this summer, as well). What's the first concert you ever attended?

I grew up on Long Island.  Harry Chapin lived just a few miles from me.  Chapin liked to bring his music to local schools.  In 1975 he did a concert at my high school.  It was a benefit concert for world hunger.  

8) In 1968, when Bernstein released this album, a sitcom called Mayberry R.F.D. premiered. It was a spin off of the highly successful Andy Griffith Show, which ran from 1960 to 1968 and is still broadcast and streamed today. Were you an Andy Griffith Show fan?

I used to watch the show, but it was never one if my favorites.

9) Random question: When people ask for your advice, what do they usually ask you about?
  

I’m a lawyer.  What do you think they ask me?



Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!
 

Comments

  1. Does it become tiresome to get "lawyer" questions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Harry Chapin came into schools with his music. That is so cool and how lucky were you (and all the other kids)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 My brother asked me if I have been using my treadmill, I said no that it is buried in junk. He asked me again a couple of weeks later and I had cleaned it off. I think the next time he asks I going to tell him I haven’t used it yet but I plugged it in.
    #5 Legal people can’t seem to tell yes or no… they always give a round about answer. I joked with him that he always begins his answer with “I my opinion…” that if I asked him if it was raining outside he would say “In my opinion it is raining.”
    #7 A couple of friends also grew up on Long Island in Northport and met him a couple of times.
    #9 Yep, I get the same type of questions about myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loved the area. He loved to do local fairs and festivals, and I think he served on the town’s arts council. His wife Sandy Chapin is still on the council, I think.

      Delete
  4. That is fun that you know all of the songs and lyrics to West Side Story. I love that musical. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you about the songs and lyrics to West Side Story--same reason!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get asked lawyer questions because I was once a paralegal. I always refer them elsewhere, though. I'm not qualified to give legal advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classical music is such a huge category. I know a bit, but not as much as those who have really studied it. I bet you get tired of lawyer questions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got an in school concert by one of the greats? wow! That is so interesting!
    You are a lawyer. Say, I have an in-law I would love to tar and feather. Should I plan to leave the country immediately after the crime or just run? lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday