Another this and that

 So we didn’t do a haunted house this year.  Sad...

But the house I call “Halloween House” got a write up in the local paper.  Nice to know we’re not alone in appreciating his unusual decor.

Maybe we’ll do something seasonal next weekend...Halloween and a full moon ...spooky ...

Pity my pumpkin won't make it to the weekend.  I left it by the front door, as a decoration, but the squirrels and raccoons decided it looked like a meal.

The other night we went out to dinner, tried a Croatian restaurant.  Yes, Croatian.  Similar to Greek and Turkish, but with a Slavic influence.  I had a cheese burek— that’s phyllo stuffed with cheese — and stuffed cabbage.  My Polish-Jewish grandmother made stuffed cabbage, and it was a very sweet dish.  The version I ate the other night was made with pickled cabbage, similar to sauerkraut but not as intense, very different from my grandmother’s.  Drew had the burek (reminded him of food he ate as a child, his mother’s family were Sephardic Jews from Turkey) and  cevapcici, which turned out to be a kind of meatball or skinless sausage in a pita bread. A unique and enjoyable experience.

We ate indoors, but the place has outdoor dining.  They're using patio heaters to keep diners comfortable.


Current read



Very seasonal...the heroine is a witch but doesn't know it until she moves into a haunted house.

Hurricane Zeta is working its way to the Yucatan...Can you believe we have had 27 named storms in the Atlantic this year?  Wow...

..though around here the forecasters are saying we will soon have colder weather, a potential hard freeze north and west of NYC. Time to get out the winter coat?

The Covid news is not good.  Here on Long Island we're OK, we might even forget there's a pandemic, except for the masks...  But places like Kansas, El Paso, the Dakotas...they're dealing with the misery we experienced here in New York last spring.   Dr. Fauci says we're in for a dark winter.  I am afraid.





Comments

  1. Geez, another hurricane? Climate change predicts this though.

    We are not going to be handing out candy this year, either. I'm sure that it's safer for the children, since cases are rising among the kids, but it will be sad. Not as sad as dying too young though.
    Take care, my new and amusing memer friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover for that book. Sorry about the haunted house. We've been doing okay in CA lately for the virus, but that's comparatively. I think I'm going to make myself some more masks this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not handing out candy at our house either. I will miss that! I love seeing the kids in their costumes. This generation of kids is set to lose nearly 18 months of childhood by the time this pandemic is over, if it ever is, and it's SO NOT FAIR! That's life, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No covid isn't good news. I know three activity here in my area. I just hope those who goes use common sense and stay safe.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. How well do those heaters work? My county (Broome) is one of those NY counties spiking and we may be facing a move from yellow to orange before too long (parts of our county are at 8% yikes) - meaning outdoor dining only and a partial shutdown. I would have loved to eat at the restaurant you describe but definitely I would only consider outdoors. We've had positives in a number of our restaurants. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A