Another this and that

 So it looks like I'll be working from home for the indefinite future.  Our CEO likes having people in the office, he thinks that the social aspects of work are very important, but...the people who are considered "essential" are already in the office, and since they make up about 1/3  of the workforce, there's no room for anyone else under current guidelines.  

But Covid is keeping me busy.  The types of claims I'm handling lately ... if an employee request accommodations like remote work because they're at a higher risk of contracting the virus, and the request is denied, the employee is likely to file a discrimination claim under the ADA. And that claim might land on my desk.

Drew has been back at school for about a month now.  Long Island is doing a hybrid approach, half in school and half remote learning.  Drew is in the building every day.  Right now he's not happy.  He retired from full time teaching several years ago (he was a special ed teacher) and took a job as a permanent substitute.  Being a sub is supposed to be easier, no grading papers or writing IEP's, etc.  But because there were a lot of retirements, he was asked to take on three special ed classes, with all the work that entails.   But the good news is, they have to move him out of that assignment by the end of the month, or he becomes a "leave replacement" entitled to more money than a sub gets.  I suspect they will hire someone for the position, and he'll be back to his normal routine soon.

As for our kids...Becca works for a law firm, and has been working remotely since March.  Jen is a civilian employee of the police department, she is "essential" and has been working at  police headquarters, with no opportunity to work from home.

Sigh.  I'm getting used to the "new normal" but I am not liking it.

Comments

  1. Sorry you're stuck at home, unless you're enjoying that. I like being able to get out of the house, although some mornings (like this one) I really miss getting to teach from home. It's nice without students in the classroom, but I do wish things had been handled better. Then we might be able to have students back in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of missing being out and about every day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm liking working at home (which I've been doing since March 19) for the most part; in fact, when I retired in April, I went right back to my old job part time (2 or 3 days a week) mainly for the social contact. I'm fortunate to be able to work at home. My son, who is classed as an essential worker, has been at his place of employment since the beginning. Not sure of the exact percentage we have back in the office but they've already delayed bringing the rest of us back a couple of times. Now, as part of the city where I work has been declared a "yellow zone" it may be a while longer. Ah yes, that new normal. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, working from home ...I don’t mind, but I’d prefer going into the office occasionally

      Delete
  4. COVID has certainly complicated the Work Force, Schools, and just about every other part of Life. I had to give up my Shifts due to my high risk category, so now I am keeping full Retirement until perhaps things improve. We are Raising the last Grandchild left at Home, she is a Freshman in High School this Year and is a Special Needs Child with Resource Needs, it's been a struggle for her to do everything Online. Mostly because Grandpa has Brain Damage and I've been out of School since before her Principal was Born so everything is too high Tech and different for me to really be a present Help for her. Due to Health concerns she's had since Birth I wouldn't be OK with a hybrid so I'm glad our District isn't sending Kiddos back to School yet, but some are, and she says her Friends in those Districts said it took no time at all for Kids and Staff to get The COVID, so it's not Safe and it compromises the Safety further of all the Families... it's so complicated I don't know what Solutions will actually Work? I have Adult Grandchildren who are Essential Workers, it worries me for the ones who work in Hospitals around a lot of Virus Victims. We already Lost a Great-Grandchild to COVID in early February who lived in Mexico, so I knew from the Jump it could and would kill Children, I wish they hadn't lied so much about that fact to the Public, the people deserve the Truth to make informed decisions about their safety and Health.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday