Saturday 9

 

Over There

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Over There (1942)
... because it's 4th of July 

Unfamiliar with this rendition? Hear it here.

1) George M. Cohan wrote this song in 1917, inspired by our country's entry into WWI. It was not only popular with the young men who enlisted, it was reassuring to their families. Tell us about a time when music was a comfort to you.

So many times!

I think I became really aware of the power of music to comfort when I was a teen, when my aunt died and I found myself singing quietly to myself so that I could process the grief and feel better,

2) "Over There" was revived at the start of WWII, and President Franklin Roosevelt cited this song specifically when he awarded Cohan with the Congressional Gold Medal. What's your favorite patriotic song?

At the moment I’m kind of partial to this one



3) This rendition of the song is from the 1942 film, Yankee Doodle Dandy. James Cagney won an Oscar for his performance as George M. Cohan. Also nominated that year was Gary Cooper, who portrayed a different Yankee, Lou Gehrig, in Pride of the Yankees. Tell us about a movie biography you have enjoyed.






4) Cagney had a rebellious streak. His boss, studio head Jack Warner, nicknamed Cagney, "The Professional Againster." Cagney joked that he was proud of the title. How about you? Are you rebellious?

No,  not usually.

5) In the clip linked above, a woman sings with Cagney. Her name was Frances Langford, nicknamed the "GI Nightingale" because during WWII she performed for the troops at bases throughout Europe, North Africa and the South Pacific. Do you have any nicknames?

No

6) In 1942, when audiences were enjoying this performance of "Over There" in movie theaters, the fashion trend was for mothers and their young daughters to wear identical dresses. Moms would buy lots of fabric and patterns for the same casual day dress in both their own sizes and their little girls'. Can you sew?

No.  I am my mother’s daughter.  She bought herself a sewing machine because that was what was expected, but she broke out in hives any time she thought about actually using it.




7) The Fourth of July means we're in the middle of summer. Are you careful about applying sunscreen?

I should be more careful.

8) Mosquito bites an be a major summer annoyance. Are you scratching any itches right now?

No.

9) Celebrity chef Rachael Ray says she considers mini-hamburgers, or "sliders," the All-American food. What will you be eating this 4th of July? 

I’m not sure.  Usually we’d be having a barbecue.  But this year we are in the middle of moving house, and I will probably spend the day packing my stuff.




Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!


 

Comments

  1. I love Billy Joel. Thanks for sharing that clip! And the biography, too...it's going on a list of movies to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw Rocketman! Now that Elton has retired from live performances, it seems like a good time to look back. Thanks for the reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th of July!
    #4 I think age cures the rebellion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music can get us through some tough times. That is funny about your mom and hives. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to see Rocketman. Happy 4th of July. I hope you don't spend it packing but there are worse things, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was in high school, we did the play Yankee Doodle Dandy,'
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was an interesting movie. You don't think of James Cagney as a song and dance man, but he could do it. There are a couple other actors who are like that--known for more gritty roles but they could do the song and dance.

    Good luck with your move.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday