Music Monday

Free choice week!

I recently saw Patti LuPone in concert.  She us an amazing talent. A fellow Long Islander, she performed Don’t Monkey With Broadway at Long Island University, same college where her mother once worked as an administrator.  

Patti LuPone came to prominence in 1980, when she played the title role in Evita.  The commercials for the show were everywhere.  I had the cast album, played it so often that I had every song memorized.


Here’s the commercial.


And here she is in the Tony Awards that year.


  



(And yes, that’s Mandy Patinkin as Che. Back in 2012, Drew and I saw Lupone and Patinkin in concert. Their chemistry is amazing.)

The theme of her Long Island concert, of course, was Broadway.  She opened with this song.


  

She sang a number of Broadway classics, songs written for male voices as well as songs written for women.  She sang songs she loved while growing up, and songs that made her career.

Of course she sang this


  

But I was a bit surprised when she sang this (now I’ve got to buy this album…)


  

(Music Man is one of Drew’s favorite shows.)

Of course she had to sing something from Gypsy


  

She did not sing a selection from Anything Goes, but I do have to include it …


  

She sang a lot of Sondheim.  Her most recent role on Broadway (before she tore up her Equity card) was in Company, where she stopped the show with this song.




What an amazing, powerful, wonderful singer.

Comments

  1. I didn't know the name but recognized the face. I had no idea she got her start on Broadway. These videos were fun to watch. She's quite talented, more so than I realized. I love her beautiful red hair, especially from her earlier years. :) Thanks for joining the 4M party. Have a boogietastic week, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of her. Thanks for the knowledge and exposing me to her great vocal range.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of her either. Thank you for introducing her to us.

    Have a fabulous day and week filled with wonderful music. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy Patinkin, from Hyde Park in Chicago. Huge White Sox fan...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not big into musical theater (although I know it takes a LOT of talent to do the singing, dancing and acting Broadway musicals require) but I so loved Patti's performances above of Trouble and Anything Goes. I'm another Music Man fan although I saw it as a movie (my mother in law loved the movie adaptations of Broadway plays and I watched a number of them with her over the years). Incidentally it only took me three different devices (laptop, iPad, and finally my desktop) to finally comment. Blogger sometimes drives me crazy.) Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday