A Tale of Two Kitties

 


  


Miss Duchess Cat is your typical house cat.  Nine years old, weighs about 12 pounds, rules over Kingdom of the Living Room while gazing out the window at the neighboring Kingdom of Back Yard.  She was three months old when Drew took her from the animal shelter and gave her a forever home.

She has not had a face-to-face encounter with another feline since her animal shelter days.  Well, except for when she was at the v-e-t, but that doesn’t really count because everyone was in their own pet carrier.




Young Miss Moon Shadow was born August 9 and found her forever home just two weeks ago.  I haven’t gotten her on the scale yet, but I doubt she weighs more than 2 pounds.  She is a happy, curious, active kitten.  I just know she’ll grow up to be a marvelous cat.

Shadow and I had a small adventure today.  We decided to visit Drew and introduce the felines to each other.

Duchess was sitting on her favorite chair  throne when we arrived. I opened the carrier and Shadow popped out.  She ignored the big gray cat and began to explore the room.

But Duchess!  Her eyes narrowed and her ears went flat.  And you could just tell what she was thinking.  

What is that thing?  Is that … a kitten?  Why is it touching my toys?  Please, please don’t let it climb my cat tree.  I don’t like this thing, this…kitten.  I’m out of here …

And she retreated to the bedroom, to her “safe place” under Drew’s bed.

You’d think a big cat like Duchess wouldn’t be such a scaredy-cat.

But when Shadow wandered into the bedroom… Duchess growled.

A truly unholy sound.

I cut the visit short after that, took Shadow back to my house before returning to Drew’s for dinner.

Poor Duchess’ tail was out of joint the whole evening.  I think she needed reassurance that she’s a good cat and that we love her and will always love her.

But she has to stop being afraid of a little Shadow …


Comments

  1. I work with a cat rescuer who has adopted several cats and she has some interesting "cats getting adjusted to new cats" stories. Hopefully all works well the next time they are introduced. I like cats, but have never owned one so this may or may not be a good suggestion - would it work better next time if Dutchess meets Moon Shadow at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I hope they can end up as friends, or at least tolerating each other.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday